Chapter seventeen

Start from the beginning

"Yeah and I've been baking all day!" A familiar husky shape announces from behind the white haired prince who still stood in the door way, he must have heard the voices and come to see what was up. Lotor moves himself away from the door way so Hunk's grinning face could be seen by the room, the yellow paladin seemed to be vibrating with excitement.

Keith eyes the new group suspiciously from the chair, his face just barely visible behind Lance's lanky form. "Who exactly is coming?" He asks, clearly not liking the idea of the castle being full. Lance pats his knee comfortingly but sits up looking questioningly at the princess to hear the answer.

Allura had made her way over to Pidge and was wiggling Maes' chubby hands, pausing she seemed to ponder on the question before turning around to meet the room's gaze with a small smile. "Shay and Matt."

Lance collapses back against Keith with an exaggerated sigh, "Man Allura! You had me thinking the whole universe was coming to the castle." The paladins chuckled with their agreements.

"Paladins please, why would I have so many people come to visit a newborn? Think of the dangers!" Allura explains as if it was the simplest thing in the universe, waving her hand to dismiss the subject, turning back to Maes to squeeze his leg.

He lets out a squeal and kicks his leg out of the princess' grip. "I think he's ticklish." Pidge laughs holding her son closer, she didn't think it would ever be possible to love another being quite as much as she loved the baby she held, well and Shiro of course.

*~*~*

Matt was the first to arrive to the Castle of Lions, dropped off Jetpack style by the still active rebellion. Sure they were more of a humanitarian group now, but they kept the name.

As soon as Matt saw Maes it was love at first sight, and the Holts hadn't separated for even a second since his arrival. "Where's the baby?" The newly named Uncle asked, "There he is!" Maes squealed and kicked his legs, absolutely besides himself even though this was around their hundredth round of peek-a-boo.

"He's such a happy baby." Matt commented without looking up, "Nothing like you were Pidge. He must take after Shiro."

Pidge reaches out to punch her brother's shoulder with a thunk, and again Maes cries out with laughter his little cheeks reddening with the effort it took. "Was that funny Little Lion?" She asked reaching down and picking him up.

"No, it wasn't." Matt claimed rubbing his sore shoulder, his little sister wasn't so little anymore and a punch from a paladin of Voltron even as a joke hurt like hell.

Maes laid his head against his mother's chest with a hum and reached up with a single hand to grab onto her honey colored hair. Pidge swings them around the room in a slow dance, knowing her son was probably ready for a nap after all the games.

"Doesn't he look just like Shiro?" Pidge asked her brother to keep up conversation. She had learned that if there was noise around the room, then her Little Lion would fall asleep faster. It was almost as if the more the baby boy wanted to stay up, the quicker he was to fall asleep, and it was truly the cutest thing.

"Sure, but he has Dad's eye color." Matt replies, referring to the golden amber of Maes' eyes. He was right, they were definitely a good two shades lighter than the two siblings. "You know, I've never known a new born to look around like he does." They watch Maes force his eyes open and gaze around curiously before slowly shutting once more. "Are you sure he was only born two weeks ago?" Matt asked, while folding the blanket he and Maes had been laying on.

"Yup, And I would show you proof but Allura's super Altean birthing pod healed everything right up." She answered, holding Maes with one hand and motioning to her waist and bellow with her other.