Chapter 2

There was nothing my mom hated more in this world than humans flirting with her. It happened very often too, which was understandable considering her aura of authority and confidence, and her short glossy hair, beautiful prominent features and striking height. She was 6'1, but the way she held herself made her seem even taller.

My father was considerably good looking, however out of fear for the impeccably dressed and downright dangerous looking woman accompanying him, humans kept their distance from him. However that didn't apply to us, it was funny when humans approached my siblings or I while we were in public, my mother couldn't keep her eye from twitching and clenched her fists so hard her palms usually began bleeding. The dripping blood from her hands, twitching eye, accompanied with the eerily fake smile she had on her face was always enough to chase the human away.

I hovered by the front counter uncomfortably waiting for a familiar face to show itself, trying to look busy with the magazine pile sitting in front of me, but my heart was beating so fast in my chest the frantic pulsing was all I could focus on.

"There's more erotic magazines downstairs." A soft voice said and my head flew up as I realized the person was addressing me. I looked up to make eye contact with green eyes that couldn't be described as anything but coy. A perfectly arched eyebrow was raised and I looked down to see the magazine open to a page of a woman holding two very well placed pizza slices to ensure the image was still technically legal to publicize.

I dropped the magazine immediately, grimacing at how worn and suspiciously stained the cover looked.

"Hand sanitizer?" The girl offered and I nodded. The brunette grabbed the bottle of hand sanitizer, squirting some into my outstretched hand. I rubbed it into my hands quickly, mentally praying to all the gods that people had just spilled chowder on the cover and it wasn't what I thought it was.

"Parisa?" A feminine voice called and I looked up to see Josephine, discreetly taking a step away from the magazines making the librarian who had given me the sanitizer snort.

"Hi Josephine." I said.

"Now no need for formalities dear, you may call me Josephine." The woman said, looking at me from being her spectacles and offering me a motherly smile. Josephine was a very nice lady, she was up in the running for becoming a part of the pack elders however every year she somehow lost by just a few votes because as nice as she was, Josephine never listened to anyone. She simply guessed what you would say and responded to that. The legend of wolves said that we used to have special abilities, at least the very first wolves did. They could read minds, compel others to do their bidding, predict the future, or many other absurd things. Josephine was one of the few that believed some wolves were still gifted with those abilities, and she believed herself to be one of them.

She earnestly believed she could see the future, predicted some horrible thing would happen to the pack at least once a year and would come running to my mother to tell her. However luckily she always provided my mother with some mundane thing to keep the event from taking place. The latest had been tying a single clove of garlic to all of the trees in the pack house, and because my mother liked to be tolerant of all believes, she did so without question.

The brunette smirked at me, obviously unaware that I had known Josephine for years considering she was apart of the pack. To my knowledge the only werewolf working at the library was Josephine, and now me, if you were to not count the werewolf adolescents who completed their mandatory volunteer hours at the library.

"This is Jean, Jean prefers working at the counter which is great because people like her very much." Josephine told me.

"Where would you want me?" I asked.