Chapter 1: You too?

I got home from school drained of emotion and so ready to sleep for the first time in god knows how long. I opened the door to see Grey and Conon my brothers, looking worried. "Hey Dekoda, why don't you take a seat", Grey mumbled. I stood there confused but dropped my bag as Conons hand pushed me slowly towards the couch.

Once I was face to face with my brothers they both dropped their heads and wiggled about in their seats, Something was seriously wrong and I hadn't seen them this way since mum and dad died. "Well what's up" I spoke up trying to sound brave, my voice deceived me and fear shun through.

They glanced at each other before Greyson says

"Koda ummm, so Conon and I are getting deployed to South Sudan to take part in the war, ermm we won't be back for around a year. We dont know all the details....."

I zoned out, I didn't know what to do, at first I just sat there then I think I started to shake because Conons hand was on my leg holding it down. Then the waterworks started and I couldn't contain myself.

"Who will look after me" I sobbed

"Well Scotts mum next door said you can stay there and she'll look after you and whatever you need"

Scott was my best friend but I wanted my brothers, I ran up the stairs to my room and cried till my head hurt. Until I couldn't cry anymore.

At around 10pm Greyson knocked and came in. He sat next to me and placed his hand softly on the small of my back. I leaned into his touch but I was still kinda mad at them. I knew they signed up for the army like my eldest brother Murphy but I didn't know it would take them this soon.

"It'll be ok Koda" grey sighed

"I know im just scared to be alone, just lost so many people" I cried

"Yea I know and i'm sorry, I really really am, but you will never really be alone"

I sat there in silence for a bit then said

"So when do you leave"

"Next week" He looked down

I just sat there too numb to complain.