Sawyer nodded as he grabbed some ornaments from the box in my arms, "Us too."

I give them both a big hug and then began to decorate one side of the beast of a tree. I glanced over at my family. Watching my dad and Sawyer decorate the tree made me both happy and sad. Sad because I feel guilty that we are experiencing this with him and my mom wasn't. I know how much she misses him and how upset she was that I was missing out on our traditions at home tonight. I wish that she knew about him so that they can be reunited, but I know that's impossible.

Rhett must sense that something was off with me because he lightly grabbed my wrist. "You alright?" He asked, gazing intently into my eyes.

I swallowed and pushed the sadness away. "Yeah, I'm fine," I assured him with a smile. "Why?"

"You've been danglin' that ornament in your hand by that branch for awhile now, but haven't actually put it on the tree," he pointed out with a goofy smile.

"Oh," I laughed at myself while I finally hung the blue ornament. "I was just thinkin' 'bout some things."

Rhett got closer, and I could smell the vanilla and nutmeg rolling off of him. Mmmm. "What things?" He asked with his head cocked.

I was focused on his lips for a second before snapping my eyes back to his. It was hard to not think of them when he was this close.

"Just some old memories about Christmas." I grabbed another ornament from the box and hung it on another branch.

"Your dad?" His face softened.

"Yeah," I sighed. "It's been awhile, ya know?"

Rhett glanced towards his dad, who was helping Wesley hang garland at the top of the tree. "I do." His face looked sullen.

How could I forget that Rhett experienced the same pain as me? I wasn't thinking when I said that, and I remember that his dad told me that Rhett changed after his mother died. I shut my eyes and mentally scolded myself.

"Oh my gosh... Rhett, I'm so sorry. I wasn't thinkin'..." I shook my head and apologized.

He faced me again. "Don't be sorry, Rae. You have nothin' to apologize for. It's not your fault, okay?" His eyes bore into mine.

I still couldn't help but feel bad. "Okay," I whispered.

Rhetts expression changed into a happier one as he grabbed another ornament from the box and had us hold it together. He then guided our hands to the tree, where we put the shiny white ball on an empty branch.

He tipped my chin up to look at him and stated, "We can't be sad tonight. It's Christmas. No one will want that, especially our parents." 

I nodded with a small smile, and he tucked some of my hair behind my ear before leading me to the other side of the tree. About a half an hour later, the Christmas tree was done in blue and white decor. The only thing left to do was the topper and turn on the lights.

"Who wants to do the honors?" My dad asked us all.

"I'll do it!" Sawyer volunteered.

Rhett chimed in, "What about Rae?"

My cheeks were turning red, I know it. "Me?"

Rhett nodded. "Yeah, you. You kind of brought us all together didn't ya?"

I didn't think of it like that, but I guess I kind of did it with my curiosity. I wouldn't be here without my persistence to know what happened with my brother.

"Only because she's stubborn," my brother commented, then laughed.

Everyone joined him and started to nod in agreement.