Chapter 21

"Ready?"

I hastily nodded, not even containing my excitement. Sawyer's hands left my face, causing my eyes to adjust to the sudden brightness. I couldn't help but gasp at the sight in front of me when everything became clear. There was a small lake with a waterfall flowing into the water below. It was breathtaking. I'm not even sure how I've never heard or seen this place. Darling is so small.

"You like it?" My dad asked me, suddenly at mine and Sawyer's side.

"Yes!  This is so cool! I didn't even know this was here!"

"It's because we keep it a secret," Parker yelled before running and jumping into the crystal-clear water.

Freezing water splattered against my body from the big splash he made, which made me suck in a breath.  Parker broke the surface of the rippling water with a big smile on his face.

How was he not freezing?

Sawyer explained, "It's like the only place we can hang out and actually be ourselves."

Owen and the rest of the guys besides Rhett, my brother, and my dad, jumped into the cold water.

"I see," I nodded, understandably. "But how do you guys stand to swim in there? The water is freezing!"

Everyone laughed at my comment, which caused my cheeks to heat up. It's like there was a secret that they were all in on except me.

"What?" I asked as my eyes danced around the group.

"We are wolves. We can withstand colder temperatures," Rhett answered me like it was a fact everyone should know.

"Noted," sarcasm fell from my lips.

Sawyer ripped off his shirt, ready to dive into the water. My dad quickly followed suit, and the two of them raced to the lake, which left me alone with Rhett. I could feel his eyes on me even though my sight was on a bunch of werewolves splashing each other like little kids. I shifted uncomfortably under his gaze and cleared my throat in effort to get him to stop.

On cue, he slowly walked up to me like a predator stalking it's prey, "Are you gonna get in?"

"Are you crazy? That water is freezin', and I'm not sure if you noticed, but I'm not a werewolf," I whispered that last part.

A melodious laugh filled the distance between us, and it lifted the corner of my mouth slightly. I made the mysterious bad boy of Darling laugh, something I never imagined myself doing.

"No, you're not," he said rather huskily with a mischievous glint in his light-green eyes.

His voice made me blush, so I turned away to make sure he didn't notice to change in the color of my face. My action made it easy for Rhett to make his move. Quicker than the normal human, he grabbed me around my waist and jumped into the lake. Instant stinging and exhilaration took over my body the moment my skin hit the water. It was too cold to be angry at Rhett for doing what he did, and to be honest, his glowing eyes staring at me underneath the water before we surfaced distracted me from the fact.

That was until I saw the smug look on his face above water.

Rhett was in front of me, smirking with water droplets on his bare, muscular chest.

"Wow, I never thought that werewolves were such jerks!"

I splashed water in his face, and this reaction made him smile.

"Well, you can't tame a beast," he said deadpanned, then splashed me back.

Before I could say anything, water hit my face again. Sawyer was now splashing me, along with Rhett. Humor was written all over their faces.