He Said, "If You Dare, Come A Little Closer"

"What are you doing?" 

I gasp and turn around to meet a pair of red eyes and full lips. Alec glares at me a little as he walks towards me. He looks up at the sky, grips the railing, and takes a deep breath. He opens his eyes and looks like he trying to be friendly, with a lopsided smirk that's almost a smile and a relaxed posture. His hands return to his sides.

"I spent the evening wandering around this place. I found this, and loved it," I smile, pointing to the nightlife and stars. If I could, I'd live on this balcony. 

"It is lovely, isn't it?" Alec agrees. I nod in response. 

"Have you been here your whole life?" I blurt out. I don't know why I mentioned that to him. He was starting to be a nice guy and then my mouth became stupid and I.... Man I'm such an idiot. I was going to wait and ask Alec when we were getting along better, not now. And now Alec is going to go back to his stony expression and harsh glare the makes me twinge with fear. 

"I...no. Not necessarily," Alec explains. He looks nervous, maybe even a little frightened. 

"You don't have to tell me anything. I can wait," I reassure Alec. 

"Not for long," Alec mutters, though I hear it. I huff, dramatically putting a hand over my heart.

"Are you accusing me of being impatient?" I gasp in mock offense. Alec looks over and me and smiles a little at my dramatic-ness, and sighs, looking straight ahead, as if reliving his past right in front of me. 

"I guess I'll start when I was human," Alec mumbles, running a hand through his hair. "I was born in England in 800 A.D., a few minutes after Jane was born. Back then, nobody has any means of finding out the gender of a baby, and a son was favored. Carrying out the family name or something like that. Jane's my twin, if you didn't know already. She was born first, and my father was going to drown Jane, since he thought my mother only had one child. I was born a few minutes after Jane, when she was being drowned, but my father stopped.

"Oh, my God. What kind of person drowns their own baby!?" I shout. Alec looks over at me chuckles a tad at my reaction. 

"Anyways, Jane and I grew up in the village we were born in. I was an abnormal kid, according to Jane. Apparently I didn't speak until I started school and never cried as a baby. By then, our psychic gifts made a small appearance. People that were nice and friendly to us became fortunate and happy. However, many people didn't like Jane or me, so they were cruel and harsh to us. Those people were followed with disease and death. The village soon declared Jane and I witches, and were called 'The Witch Twins'. We had no power over what happened to people we interacted with, and it came to the point where if I was human longer, my parents were going to kick Jane and me to the dirt. My parents...they treated me and my sister like we were dirt on their clothes that they could never wash off. The village beat them to it though. Jane and I had left the village to get something from the market when the villagers surrounded us. They brought us over to the square, where the priest was, with a lot of wood and the villagers there had torches. They tied us up and condemned us to be burned at the stake, Vera.

"By that time, Aro had noticed us when were toddlers, and he knew our gifts would serve him well, but he had to wait until Jane and I were older because of the Immortal Child Law that was already established. He intended to come back when we became adults, but when a nomad hearing of our "crime", he ran to the village and stopped the execution. By that time, Jane and I were practically dead. The flames were brutal, and all I heard was the villagers screaming at us and Jane's screaming. I felt so much pain, so much heat. The stench of smoke burned. I focused to trying to feel numb, and that execution changed our gifts. Jane can inflict pain, and I can deprive someone of their senses," Alec explains. He looks over at me, and I see him look for some sense of fear, fear for him, or disappointment, disapproval.