Chapter 4 - Dinner

Start from the beginning

"Nope. That's what you get for leaving the presentation in the car," Connor winked.

Gabriel chuckled, "I guess so."

Connor grinned in triumph. "I'm taking her to Di Sotto's."

Gabriel let out a loud groan then laughed. "Oh boy, you're gonna lay it on thick then, huh?"

"Yeah, if I can get out of here on time. Go pout in your office." Connor shooed Gabriel out. He stood with his hands raised in defeat and left.

Before getting back to work, Connor dialed Di Sotto's.

"Hi, I'd like to make a reservation for two for 6:00 tonight...Yes."

****

The day dragged on for Riley but she managed to get her tasks done before showering and getting ready for her date with Connor. Her mom, Vivian, had come over to babysit Kaylee. They were watching a movie while Riley was getting ready.

She picked out an off-the-shoulder knee length burgundy dress that flared out from her hips. Since she was 5' 7" tall, plus size, a single mom and a teacher, Riley didn't have many opportunities to wear high heels. With an excited giggle, she pulled out her long lost friends. A pair of sexy black 4 inch pumps.

"Hello, old friends. I have missed you." She slipped on her shoes and stood up, checking her outfit in the full length mirror. Satisfied, she picked up her black clutch and headed toward the living room.

"Ooooooo, Mommy you look beautiful!" Kaylee cooed, clapping and winking dramatically complete with a tongue click then gave Riley a double thumbs up.

"Thanks, honey," Riley smiled at her daughter. "Be nice to grandma, eat your vegetables, behave during bath and go straight to sleep, ok? Promise?"

"I promise, Mommy," Kaylee happily agreed and hugged Riley tight. "I love you. Make sure he behaves." She gave a playful scowl.

"Oh, I will, honey," Riley laughed. "No funny business on the first date."

"Or at all," Vivian added sourly. Riley rolled her eyes and ignored the comment made by her mother.

"Mom, I made up the guest bed in my office so you won't have to wait up for me."

"What if I want to?" Vivian snapped, crossing her arms over her chest.

"Mom, I am a grown woman who is capable of making good decisions." Riley checked the time, 5:30. She opened her ride sharing app and put in the request for an immediate pick up.

"I know you are honey, you just don't always think things through for the long term. Otherwise you never would have married-"

"Mom!" Riley look up from her phone and silenced her mom with the sharp "teacher" tone. Vivian should be well aware Riley didn't tolerate any talking about Asher especially in front of Kaylee. "That's enough. I've gotta go. I love you both, have fun and don't wait up for me." Riley blew Kaylee a kiss then turned to walk out the door.

****

Connor paid the driver of his taxi and stepped out in front of the restaurant. He was a little nervous. He hadn't been nervous for a date in years. Women fawned over him and getting what he wanted was never difficult. He radiated confidence that made women melt into a puddle of lust. Connor Westwood simply didn't get nervous...until Riley.

Proceeding into the restaurant, Connor buttoned up his gray suit jacket's middle button and smiled a flirtatious smile at the hostess, complete with a playful wink.

"Reservation for Westwood. I'm wondering if my date has checked in?"

"It doesn't look like it, Mr. Westwood. Would you like to be taken to your table or wait here?" The hostess flashed a flirty smile and batted her fake eyelashes. She had nothing on Riley.