Chapter 25- Part Two

Comenzar desde el principio

I nearly leaped when I heard his voice from behind me, "Amanda, what are you doing here?"

Okay, I'm fighting my friends tonight, did she really just wave him over like she didn't know I don't wanna see him?

Okay Alyssa breathe you can do this. I chanted to myself.

I spun slowly to take an even better look at him only to see his damn back. But I talked too soon because he turned around to look at who the friends were that Amanda told him she was here with.

His light brown eyes pin me to my spot as he scans me from head to toe unapologetically.

He muttered something under his breath before he ran his tongue over his teeth.

"Alyssa," he said calmly while my friends stayed still, watching to see what will happen next.

"Elijah."

"Happy birthday."

"Thank you."

That signaled the end of our conversation but not the end of our staring, he eyed me up, his eyes lingering on my cleavage as well as my legs for a minute too long.

He smiled when he realized how uncomfortable I was.

"Can I buy you a drink?" he asked.

I mustered a smile, "Sure, I'd like that thank you."

He motioned me to come and my knees wobbled as I walked with him to the bar.

"You look stunning," he stated clearing his throat awkwardly then he looked away stuffing his hands in his pocket.

I almost giggled at how awkward he was acting, "Thank you Elijah."

He ordered a martini for me and bourbon for himself as usual.

"Did you come all the way to Vegas for your birthday?"

"I did, what are you doing here?"

"I'm here on business."

"Oh."

The air became suffocating as tension crept in the silence that lingered between us.

I knew he had so much to say but if I knew anything about him, it was that he was never forceful.

When we got back to where my friends were, we saw his brothers now joining in.

He presses his lip near my ear, "Santino is the one who owns the place."

"I figured that out when I saw him talking to the manager. At least you guys use the illegal money for something profitable."

He faced me immediately and I spot the irritation within his orbs.

"You know I can't do anything about it Alyssa, I have to do what is required of me, this is my life and I can't escape it. But you never understood."

"I understand Elijah but it still doesn't make it right."

He sighed shaking his head, "How've you been?"

"I'm okay, what about you?"

"I'm fine, I just haven't been myself lately. Everyone around me walks on eggshells, afraid I'll blow up on them because I'm not over you."

There is a knot of emotions in my throat and I swallow it looking behind me to see my friends and his brothers watching us secretly.

"I care about you Elijah, I really do, but what I saw really made me view you in a different light."

"Alyssa, I'm sorry I lied to you. I can't change who I am or what I'm apart of. I have to fulfill my duties as a first born son of the Rossini bloodline. But let it be known that I will never stop trying until you give me another chance."

I was staring at the ground and he used his index finger and thumb to lift my head up. Based on the emotions swirling in my eyes he exhaled knowing what my answer would be.

"I have to think about this. I'm just not cut out for this life."

"Alyssa..." he paused. "We can start over."

"Well let's do that, but we'll start over as friends so we don't get blindsided by anything else we didn't know about each other. I want us to be completely honest with each other."

He nodded and tried to stifle the smile that was forming on his lips.

"I want to know more about you and your lifestyle and understand it. I want to know the good and the bad, I want to accept you for who you are."

He listened to me intently and nodded in understanding.

"Pick me up on Sunday for church, I'll be back in New York by that time so I'll see you then," I said walking away from him.

______________________________________________