Chapter 15: The Dangers of the Trail. And Of Love.

Start from the beginning

       "Are you wanting me to cancel the plans or something?"

       "Nope. Just simply pointing out you didn't technically promise."

       "Then Jamie Krukowski, I promise we will go on the trail tomorrow for lunch."

       "You using my full name makes it sound like you were about to propose to me so now I am thoroughly disappointed you didn't propose to me."

       "Why would I propose to you when we're not even dating?"

       "Then ask me out."

       "Not happening."

       I sighed heavily. "Once again, my heart has been broken by a man who goes by the name of Sawyer Birch. I don't think I'll ever be able to move on from this feeling. Why must the world be so cruel?"

       Sawyer chuckled. "You are a very interesting person at times."

       "I know," I said before walking off and heading to the stables so I could prepare Paint to go on the trail. It probably wasn't the best day to go there with the gloomiest looking sky filled with dark grey clouds but I needed something to take my mind off of today and the trail was definitely what I needed at times to clear my mind.

       Right now, my mind was racing with more thoughts than usual, mainly with thoughts about Sawyer. And how stressful school was being. And missing my dad. And how much I liked Sawyer. And missing my dad even more. And then Sawyer again. And then my dad.

       Basically just alternating thoughts of me missing my dad a lot and me liking Sawyer a lot.

       Once I got Paint ready, I got on the saddle and led him to the trail. I was hoping my mind would slowly forget the thoughts that were bothering me but that didn't happen. In fact, the further I went into the forest, the stronger the thoughts got and the more miserable I was feeling.

       I really missed my dad. 

       I quickly wiped a tear away before holding onto the reins again. I'd be okay. I just needed to get used to this fresh air and the scenery.

       Paint and I went to the pond but I didn't feel like getting off here. It would probably only make me feel worse since I always came here with Sawyer and he wasn't here for me right now so I just led Paint further down the forest.

       Probably not the best idea right now because soon enough, a felt a few trickles of rainfall. I wanted to ignore it and just keeping going but I couldn't do that to Paint when he hated storms. I wasn't sure if a storm was going to come or if it was just rain but with my horse, it was better to be safe than sorry.

       I tried turning Paint around to head back home but as quickly as the rain started, it began to complete pour down. Paint was starting to freak out, refusing to go into the direction I wanted him to.

       "Paint, come on," I said. "Just turn around."

       He still didn't listen. He just starting jerking around in all directions, making it a bit difficult for me hold onto the reins but I grasped them tightly.

       "Paint, please," I said. "We have to get back. Just turn around." 

       He wasn't listening at all. He probably wasn't going to listen at all, especially because instead of just standing still as he jerked around, he started rushing through the forest in the complete opposite direction I didn't want him to.

       I tried slowing him down but nothing was working which was only causing me to start panicking a bit. I had to calm Paint down all the time, sure, but not while I was on him and he was refusing to listen to me.