Chapter Twenty Eight

I feel somebody shaking my shoulders and I jerk upright, looking around wildly.

I'm not in my room and I'm not in my bed.

My heart starts to race and I start shoving at the covers feeling like I'm about to scream.

Strong hands grasp my shoulder.

"It's okay." A quiet voice says. "You were having a nightmare. It's okay. Stop kicking."

My hair is stuck to my forehead in sweat and I take a couple of deep breaths, blinking a million times.

A figure is sitting right in front of me. I rub my hands on my forehead to push my hair back, the memories of last light flitting into my mind.

Ava's mental breakdown, us swimming in the pool, having pizza, and then watching The Choice, which is  a book I read a few years ago.

I fell asleep with the decision that I like Ava and Wyatt, but not Anthony and Aubrey.

Anthony seems a little rude and every time I looked at Aubrey she looked angry, but only towards me.

Maybe I'm being too quick to judge, but I've people I don't trust, and Aubrey is on that list.

I look at the finger who's hand is on my shoulder.

Liam is awake. He woke me up from my nightmare.

"Did I wake anybody up?" I whisper.

"No." he whispers back. "You started thrashing so I woke you up."

I rub my eyes. "What time is it?"

"A little after four."

I frown.

"Why are you awake?"

"I'm not tired."

He sounds tired.

"Are you sure? You should try to sleep. You sound tired."

"No, I'm not tired." He says. "Lie back down, Savannah."

Sighing, I lie back down on the couch. He leans forward and grabs my blanket, pulling it back up to my chin.

"Go back to sleep, okay? No more nightmares."

"Okay." I yawn, shutting my eyes.

__________

Liam tosses my bag into his truck and rubs at his eyes. They're bloodshot and he looks exhausted.

"When do you guys want to hang out again?" Ava asks.

"I'll text you." Liam says as I get in the truck.

"Wait, I need Savannah's number." Ava says.

"I'll text it to you." Liam replies.

"Why? She's standing right here."

Liam rubs his forehead and blinks slowly, and then he just shakes his head.

"I will text you her number."

"Bye Liam!" Aubrey exclaims.

She runs over to him and hugs him.

He pats her back until she lets go, and then he gets in the truck and shuts the door.

Confused, I get in the truck and shut my door.

He doesn't even say anything, he just turns on the truck and stares at me until my seat belt is on.

He puts his on too, and then backs out of the driveway.