14.

ZAHRIE POV

School was a little weird today

School was a little weird today. It was oddly quiet. Maybe it's because I suspect my parents had done something to my history teacher. Or maybe I'm tripping?".

"Zahrie what's up?" Solana asked

"Nothing... just not in the mood to be here today" I said.

"That's me everyday!" Solana joked. But she wasn't lying if the girl could stay home she would. "Did you study for the quiz we have for social?".

"Of course I studied. But did you?" I teased.

"Study for what? I just copy off of you anyway" she said.

"What will happen when we go off to college and you can't copy off of me?"I asked.

"You know damn well I'm not going to college. I'm going straight to work. I rather make money than waste it going to college for four years" she said.

Shaking my head cause she always trying to find the easy way out. Closing my locker we walked to history. We took our seats in the back. Looking at the clock we noticed it's been a minute and the teacher didn't show up yet. "Let me find out the teacher is playing hooky today" Solana said.

Shushing Solana up the principal walked in "sorry this class will proceed in the library. Mr. Jones isn't here today".

Looking at Solana she was all smiles. I felt like everything was going slow. Raising my hand up "yes Zahrie?"

"Will Mr. Jones be back tomorrow?" I asked.

"Hopefully so" he said. Which meant I have no idea. My palms was getting all clammy. Solana motioned me to come on. I got my bag and walked out the classroom. We both walked to the library where we were told to study. "I can do this everyday. Hopefully he don't come back" Solana said.

"You do know if he doesn't come back... they'll just replace him with a sub" I said.

"Why do you always have to bust my bubble?" She whined.

"Don't need you thinking all crazy. Then tomorrow we have a sub" I said.

"What do you think happened to the teacher?" Solana asked flipping through a magazine.

I shrugged "have no clue. Maybe he had an appointment".

"Nah the way the principal came in there was like homeboy didn't even call" she said.

"Maybe but who knows he'll show up tomorrow" I said. I knew the truth. He wasn't coming back. Why was guilt eating me up slowly?. How could my parents do this with no emotion? And I'm sitting here feeling completely guilty.

When I got home my mom was at the kitchen table going through some papers. "Ma? Can I ask you something?". She looked up "what?".

"What did you and dad do to Mr. Jones?" I asked.

"Who?" She's playing dumb.

"Really? Come on!" I said.

"Oh that idiot teacher of yours. We didn't do anything to him. We were suppose to have a meeting with him... but he never showed up. So we left" she said with a straight face.

"Are you lying to me?" I asked.

"What's with all the damn questions? Are you working with the police?" She asked.

"No but he didn't show up to class today. I got a little worried you guys did something to him" I said.

"Nope not us. Maybe he didn't feel like going in to work. Is that a crime?" She asked me.

"No! But it's weird" I said.

"Zahrie let me give you some advice. Stay out of grown folks business. That's not a place for a girl like yourself" she said. My dad walked in and stopped when saw us. "What's going on here?".

"I was just asking mom if you guys did anything to Mr.Jones" I said.

"Who?" Here we do again.

"Dadddd! Come on" I whined.

"I told her already we were suppose to have a meeting with him and he never showed up. But she doesn't seem to believe that" my mom said.

"Mom is right though. He never showed up. So we left and went grocery shopping. You saw we came home with bags". Damn, they did come in with grocery bags last night. I must be trippin'.

"Zahrie maybe you're studying a little too hard. Take a break and relax your brain" my dad suggested. I squinted my eyes at them both. "I'm not as stupid as Maddox. I know something happened. I don't know why you won't tell me?. I can handle it".

"Yeah okay. We are good though. Don't you have some homework to get to?" My mom asked.

"Dad?" I pleaded for him to tell me. Our relationship is too close for him to keep this from me. "Nothing to tell. I'm sorry". I nodded and walked backwards just looking from my mom to my dad. My mom waved at me while my dad saluted me. They think they're funny.