Chapter 6- The Divorce

“Brother seems to have taken quite the liking towards you.” Klaus says as he pours himself some scotch.

I flop down on the couch in the Mikaelson mansion and face Klaus, I cross my arms over the back and place my chin on my elbows and smile. “Seems that way doesn’t it.”

Klaus turns to me and raises an eyebrow. “Scotch?”

I shake my head and yawn. “No, I have to work tomorrow.”

He walks to me and looks down in my eyes. “I’m sure you have had worse than a hangover on the job, love.” He holds out the drink.

I sigh and grab the scotch. “I’m going to regret this tomorrow.” I take a gulp and the scotch burns my throat. “I love the taste of scotch at noon.”

He chuckles. “As do I.” he then takes a seat by me on the couch. “So don’t think my brother to be a stick in the ass.”

I laugh. “No Klaus, I don’t think Elijah is a stick in the ass.”

He laughs. “Really,”                         

I nod. “Yeah, he makes me feel something I haven’t felt since I had Gabriel. Something I never felt for Gabriel’s father.” I look down and the light atmosphere of the room immediately plummets to the floor.

Klaus brings his lips back so he looks like he will snarl, but lets out a sigh instead. He then puts his hand on my shoulder and rocks me back and forth. “If my brother makes you and your son happy, that is all that matters James.”

I smile at him. “That was very heartfelt Klaus,” I say and put my hand on his shoulder. “You’d almost think you had a heart.”

He laughs, and then makes a fake serious face. “I am never being nice to you again, love.”

            After a couple more drinks I leave Klaus alone in the mansion and head home. Once I get to my building, I stop at my neighbor Meghan’s house and pick up Gabriel. Meghan has also become a really close friend of mine since I came to New Orleans. I get to my apartment with little Gabriel looking around the hall as I unlock the door. Once I enter, there are rose petals trailing from the entry way down the hallway. I place my keys in the little bowl in the table by the door and close the door. I walk down the hallway and see that the petals go to the right, into the dining room. Once I come out of the hallway, I Elijah standing there. The dining room table has an extravagant red and gold table cloth on it. The table is set to perfection and the food smells as though it came from a gourmet restaurant.

“Oh my God,” I say “Did you do this Elijah?”

He smiles and walks towards me. “I did, with some help from Niklaus.”

I suddenly realize that Klaus was distracting me this entire time.”It looks beautiful.” Gabriel starts to reach for Elijah.

Elijah and I have been together for six months now and he practically spends all his time here. “Dada!” Gabriel says.

Elijah smiles and I feel tears start to form in my eyes, as Elijah takes Gabriel from me.  All the sudden I can’t take it anymore, the three words I have been holding back for the longest time fly out of my mouth. “I love you.”

Elijah looks up from Gabriel and grabs my waist. He pulls me towards him and kisses me. “I love you too.”

            The entire dinner I don’t stop smiling from ear to ear. Gabriel sits in the high chair between Elijah and I. Then the phone rings, I get up and pick it up. “Hello?” I say.

I hear a sigh. “Hey baby,” the voice causes my muscles to freeze. I look at Elijah and he comes to my side, he places his hand around my waist. “Why did you send me these?”

“How did you get this number?” I ask firmly.

“I asked you first.” He snaps.

I take a deep breath. “Because I don’t love you Stan.”

“I love you baby-“

“If you loved me you wouldn’t hit me, now would you.” Now it’s my turn to snap.

“Jay-“

Elijah takes the phone from me. “Do not call this residence again.” His tone is full of venom and he hangs up the phone.

I place my hands on the island and lean forward. Elijah turns me towards him and holds me for a long time. “I have to get this divorce finalized.” I say.

He sighs. “I will always help you James.”

I kiss his cheek and lay my head back on his shoulder. “I know.”

TWO WEEKS LATER

I burst through the apartment door. “Elijah!”

Elijah meets me halfway through the hallway. “What is it?”

I take his hands. “I was at the court for the divorce and all the sudden Stan has a condition for the divorce.”

“What is the condition?” He asks.

My shoulder’s relax “ He wants full custody of Gabriel."