Chapter 10- Stan's Sick

I twirl my ring on my left hand, and my gaze finds Elijah’s. I look up at him my hand on his bare chest, his eyes find mine. He brushes my hair behind my ear. “Something troubles you?” it’s more of a statement.

“There’s something you need to know.”

He shifts us so we’re lying face to face. “Tell me.”

I sigh.

Ring

Ring

Ring

“Hello?” a deep and tired voice says through the phone.

“Nick?” I ask, my voice on the verge of breaking.

“Jay? Everything ok? What’s going on?” He’s worried and panicing.

I give a shaky sigh to the phone. “I’m”  I close my eyes and compose myself. “Nick, I’m-I’m pregnant.”

His breath shakes on the other side of the phone. I could feel his fear. “Does he know?”

I shake my head. “No. I don’t know if I should tell him Nick.” Tears stain my face.

“You have to tell him James.” He speaks in a stern tone. “He needs to know.”

A sob threatens to leave my throat.” You don’t know what he’ll do to me when he finds out.” I look behind me suddenly feeling self conscious. “Nick he’s getting worse.”

“Worse? Worse how?” paper flutters in the back ground.

“He’s more aggressive, I’ll come home and he’ll be having a conversation with someone who isn’t even there.” My hand comes to my mouth and I start to chew on my nails.

“Is he paranoid?” he’s a doctor.

“Yeah.”

“Delusional?”

“Yes why?”

He sighs “Sounds like the early stages of schizophrenia. James you need to get him to a doctor now!”

“Okay okay, we’ll go when he gets home.” My hands are shaking.

“Alright- and James?”

“Yeah?”

He sigh’s  “Take care of your baby.”

A small smile spreads on my face. “ I will.”

            An electronic tone ends our conversation; I still hold the phone by my ear. My hands tremble; I feel panic and feel plague my mind and my muscle’s. The door creaks open and footsteps start to make their way towards me. They get louder, until- “Jamie?”

I turn around and put on a fake smile. “Hey, how are you feeling?”

He nods, while pushing his weight into the door frame. “I’m fine, you?”

I nod. “I’m fine.” Hesitation “I was talking with Nick today.”

He looks at the phone still clutched in my hand. “I can see that.” He smiles.

I set the phone down. “I told him that things weren’t so great.”

The smile turns to a deep frown and he becomes tense at my words. “You did?”

I nod.

He walks towards me. “Why would you tell him that?”

I shrug. “Because they’re not-”

SMACK

I’m on the floor my face in burning; I’m supporting my weight on my hands and knees. My eyes find his, his face is twisted in a scowl; his fists are in balls at his sides. His lips pull back, showing his teeth. While crouching down, he gets closer to me and gets in my face.

“You don’t get to talk to your brother about our marriage!”

He grabs my face by his thumb and forefinger, and then throws me to the floor. He kicks me multiple times in the stomach. Screams at me for exposing our private life to my brother. He throws against the wall.

“Any other secrets you want to tell me!?”

I feel the blood run down my face as I say. “I’m Pregnant.”

He freezes and stares at me, before he leaves me alone.

Needless to say, that baby didn’t live past me first trimester.

Elijah looks at me shocked, his arm surrounds my shoulders and he brings me closer. “Why did you not tell me this sooner?”

“Everybody has baggage,” I say. “I don’t like to talk about mine.”

He kisses my forehead. “I will always protect you from that man.”

I close my eyes and let his heat warm me.