71 - Honor and Shame - Part 1

Start from the beginning

"...Helena's proposals wouldn't be able to be applied... would they...?"

She's asking me? Ask Alsta- right. Overly kind prince. She wanted the truth, not something sweet... and I already put Helena down once.

"No. Most things would never be able to be applied here..."

I start out... and continue since she appears to be searching for an explanation.

"Even if Alstair has the official title to rule the kingdom... or will have... he rules with the help of the nobility. The Tepet army is vast, but the army would become small if all Lords turn against the crown."

"Most of Helena's suggestions would start a civil war, and Headal would take advantage of that to stab the Tepet army in the back while they are busy dealing with the civil war..." I pause here for a moment to let the information sink in... and she nods after mulling it over for a few moments.

"Even then, it likely wouldn't reach the level of a civil war... say, Claire... you know about the many flowers in the capital?" I begin to hint in a certain direction, just to see if she has understood it.

"Yes... I think I know most of their meanings."

She looks confused and cautious. Wise choice.

"I see. Did you know that the reason our tableware has silver is to prevent poisoning? After all... there are a lot of poisonous plants in the capital that are either beautiful or used for medicine. If Alstair was to turn everyone against him... then he would be able to neither eat nor drink anything until he dies of either poison, starvation or thirst."

I admit... there was no specific reason for telling her this other than wanting to see her expression... and it didn't disappoint.

She turned sheet white and looks down at her tea cup. Then back up at me.

"Have someone ever... tried to poison you?"

She pulled herself together and easily continued the conversation. Whatever the guys were doing, they were doing a great job. Still, she was tearing up.

"Multiple times. For a while it was at about every third tea party."

She brushed away a tear at the corner of her eye and then nodded.

"Thank you. I... I'm sorry, it's just... when you explained the part about poison, I realized that Gilbert has been protecting me for a while now... he... always stares weirdly at my tea and asks me what it smells like... And... trips a lot when he gets near me... and cracks the cups every time... that... that's because the cups were poisoned, right?"

Gil... have I not set a beautiful example of how to get out of these things? To go for something like 'ooops I tripped' will get you in trouble.

"I would say so..."

She turns momentarily gloomy at my words.

"If you truly want to apply change, then do it with small steps. Every time you intend to step on someone's toes, make sure it is so light that they don't feel it, or you have something they want more."

...I am merely helping her because she will be the wife of my future Lord- .... king.

She peeks up from her tea and then comes with a small smile.

"As Gilbert-sama said... Lily-sama does not do well with a lot of emotion."

She gives me one of those brilliant and bright smiles that only a heroine can give... and I cover up my reaction by lifting my tea cup and sipping tea from it...

Rustle.

A large group of masked guys surround us in an instant... but... I suppose I am more surprised than anything else.

This place where we are drinking tea, is certainly where the Heroine was kidnapped in the story...

But... I am not supposed to be here, and the event is several months early!

I stare up at them and consider resisting as they bring out ropes and... large cloth bags...

They look nervous and on edge... all heavily armed with substitute weapons in case their substitute weapons and main weapons disappear...

I could probably blast them away... but not without both of us getting severely injured...

It may be ahead of plan, but I'll get to be on the side line to one of the sweetest scenes in the novel... I'll accept playing kidnapped a bit. Something silly like this should bring my mood back up and let me forget about Helena and Lionel.

Besides, it's safer this way. Those mana-blocking cuffs don't work on Lumere.