Chapter One

The students at Hogwarts enjoyed the Yule Ball our fourth year, and the first years through third years were upset they couldn’t participate in this once in their lifetime dance. A few students went around at the beginning of last year petitioning for there to be a yearly student ball for the winter solstice ball. They got over 100 student signatures and Dumbledore approved, however by the time it was the winter season professor Umbridge had banned it and refused to budge on the matter. The seventh years were so furious and many were given detention when they approached her about it. It was absolutely dreadful. Now this year is Harry, Ron, and my sixth year, so we approach Dumbledore about being open to the idea again.

He agreed saying that he will appoint two upper level students to be head planners of the ball when he announces the dance to the students at dinner on Friday in two days. Of course, he mentioned others can be apart of the dance community, but will have to be appointed by these two head students. Harry, Ron, and I walked out of Dumbledore’s office excited and hopeful. We were told not to talk about it to anyone yet, so no one will try and persuade Dumbledore to let them be one of the head community students. So when we walked into the common room of the Gryffindor tower, it took every bit of strength I possessed to not tell Ginny when she asked me why I looked so happy. I walked into the dining hall late on Monday because my mind was so distracted thinking of the announcement that I ended up struggling to focus on my studies. I was trying my best to catch up in the library that I lost track of time. As I’m sitting I see Malfoy enter the hall late as well looking very stressed. Maybe it should have been concerned that Malfoy was worried about something, but I couldn’t care less what was going on with him.
Just as Malfoy sat down, Dumbledore stood up and requested for everyone’s attention. I look at Harry and Ron excitedly, and then I turn back to fully concentrate on Dumbledore. “This has been a steady year so far, we may have Voldemort back but we are having high security and a non disruptive learning environment I would say.” He looks to his fellow teachers sitting at a long table behind him. “I, however, had a few students approach me and re-request for our school to begin a traditional dance for Winter Solstice.”

Everyone across the hall instantly got excited. “I have agreed with them and I will be appointing two head dance committee members to plan out and appoint others to help them.” Ginny, who is sitting next to me, starts bouncing, “Oooh I hope it’s me!!”
Dumbledore waits a second probably to build up the suspense as he strokes his long beard, almost like he’s making his final decision in this moment. I mean, I wouldn’t put it past him to do that, I chuckle to myself.
“Hermione Granger from Gryffindor will be our first head dance planner.” Ginny jumps up and down as I sit there shocked, my mouth slightly open. “And from Slytherin, Draco Malfoy.” Ginny stops hitting me and looks shocked at Dumbledore as I snap my head to the Slytherin table. He looks outraged and shocked. If glares could harm, Malfoy would have several holes in his head from Ron, Harry, and I staring at him. “My decision is final and there will be no changing it.” Dumbledore announced as though he knew how we would respond to this odd pairing, the two ancient rival houses planning a ball for the whole school. I groan and slammed my head into the table. When we were dismissed from dinner I literally sprinted out of the hall. I made it halfway up the stairs when I feel a hand grab my arm and pull me around. I come face to face with a pale face with dark eyes and bleach hair. “Hermione, you can’t ignore me now that we are both head party planners. We have to talk about it now.” I quickly look around with a slow blush crossing my face to see if anyone was listening, and there was indeed a few students taking notice to Draco’s hand on me.

I ripped my arm out of his grip, “There’s nothing to talk about Draco.” I hiss at him. He looks irritated now. I turn away and storm off. ‘Nothing happened Hermione if you just ignore it.’ I comforted myself. I furiously stomp back to the Gryffindor tower, Harry beat me to the tower - probably took one of his short cuts.