«safe»

JOHNNY
She didn't know that I saw her. Leaning against the entrance, I watched her. Everyone else would think that she was fine.

But I saw past that, I saw her brokenness. Her pain. It floated in the air like the smell of fresh paint.

Even in this state, she still looked flawless. A work of art waiting to be interpreted.

"You've been standing here for a long time." Said a soft voice, disrupting me from my trance.

I blinked and there she was, standing right in front of me. Although she knew I saw right through her, she still maintained her composure, standing with great elegance and dignity.

My heart melted at the sight of her dark chocolate eyes. They say that the eyes are the way to the soul and it was true. I saw everything in her eyes. Instinctively, I walked forward and wrapped my arms around her. Engulfing her in a warm hug.

Her resolve slowly fading, she let out a defeated sigh and accepted the hug. She buried her face in my shoulder and her walls slowly crumbled as the tears fell.

We didn't have to say anything. It was then, that I understood that we were the same person. Both of us had a resilient facade that we hid behind, afraid of what might happen if we removed the facade.

"What's going on here John?" said a loud voice.

...
I just found out that someone I knew wasn't who I thought they were.

And it hurts.

But because of that, you guys get an extra chapter and I get to learn a valuable life lesson.

So jokes on that person, I'm only gonna be stronger from now on.