Marina frowned deeper. "You went a-hunting on the Phantom? Without me?"

"We would never dare, pearl," replied De Neill. "But a merchantman crossed right before our bow and— You know, right?"

"Hum!"

Alma chuckled, seeing the pirates' repentant faces, as they looked down to avoid the girl's glower.

"They'd slice your throat in a blink," Dolores whispered to her. "But Marina frowns and their knees buckle."

"Welcome, gentlemen."

All of them turned to the main hall doors, where Castillano stood, hands behind his back and a forced smile in his face.

Maxó and De Neill tipped their hats at him. "Captain," they murmured.

Marina leaned toward Alma. "Could you take them to a place where I can speak to them in private?"

"Sure." Alma stood up and waved for the pirates to follow her. "This way. Let me offer you something cool to drink."

"Only if it's made from old grapes, my dear ma'am," said Maxó, going after her.

Castillano rolled his eyes at the pirates' insolence and faced Marina, who came closer to him only to keep her voice down.

"I didn't know we were expecting visits," he said, his smile turning ironic.

"I didn't think you would care. The news I bring to you seldom catch your attention." Marina did a curtsy and headed for the kitchen.

Castillano swallowed a sigh and went back to the library.

Nobody even glanced at Dolores. She remained at the bench under the tamarind tree. And in her hand, a brooch made of a heart-shaped ruby.

The afternoon guards brought Dolores Segovia's apology, because the general wouldn't be able to visit her that day

The afternoon guards brought Dolores Segovia's apology, because the general wouldn't be able to visit her that day. Which didn't surprise her. Now that he'd had her, he'd take it easier and even play tough. Like she cared.

"Did he give you any letter for Captain Castillano?" she asked.

"No, milady."

"Oh, well, thank you."

Dolores went back to the piano parlor, where Marina still talked with the pirates. The three of them turned to her when she walked in. She shook her head and joined them at the couches without a word.

"Dolores," said Marina. "De Neill here is right. Couldn't that Inquisition thing be dangerous for you too? What if they order your capture, for helping this dangerous witch? Looks like they don't care about legal procedures."

Dolores frowned, full of suspicion.

"Enough," said Maxó. "Both of you, go pack. We're leaving tonight. We're coming for you after dinner."

"We're not going anywhere, old wolf," Marina replied, final. "Not yet."

"Tomorrow, then?"

"I said no. I'll meet you at the market."

"Aye, pearl," the pirates murmured.

When she walked them to the side exit, she made sure nobody could see her and took their hands, smiling.

"I've missed you so much," she whispered.

"And we you, pearl," De Neill replied. "But it can't take much longer."

Doubt clouded her black eyes for a heartbeat. "No, I'm afraid it can't. Go now. Give Morris my love and take care of my ship."

"You would take better care of it, if you came with us now," Maxó grumbled.

She pinched his cheek. "You already sound like a grandpa, old wolf."

De Neill took his ranting friend away and Marina lingered there, watching them leave, a smile pursing her lips. Oh, she had really missed them. Those two, Morris, her ship, the rest of her old crew. Honestly, she couldn't wait to get rid of that silly disguise and be herself again, and do what she loved with the ones she loved.

A sigh escaped her lips. Maybe not with all of those she loved. Maybe the one she needed by her side the most would keep refusing the place she offered him in her life, in her world. And there was nothing she could do to change it. Just like she'd told Alonso back in Maracaibo: she could only give Castillano his freedom back, for him to do what he pleased. Even if that meant losing him.