Time Is Running Out (Chapter Sixteen)

Start from the beginning

Ray didn't say anything.

Cora started to ramble. "It's kind of a huge deal around here. Don't take it personally."

'Why would I take it personally?"

"Because...you're..." she fumbled over her words. "You aren't upset?"

"Of course I'm not upset. The Blood King is dead. As far as anyone else is concerned i'm an ordinary civilian named Ray Castillo. The Blood King will remain a piece of history and nothing more."

Cora didn't know what to say so she said nothing. Ray placed his hand on top of hers which made her heart flutter.

"When is it?"

"When is what?" Cora was so flustered she had completely forgotten what they were talking about. Cora could no longer deny it. She had feelings for Ray, but they had more important matters to attend to right now.

"Blood Kings Day," Ray clarified.

"Next Sunday, so we'll have about a week to prepare."

"Do we have any idea what he's planning?"

"No."

"There's not much we can do, then."

"We need to stop him!" Cora protested.

"If we don't know what he's planning than we have no idea how to stop it."

Cora wanted to argue, but he was right. All she knew was that darkness was spreading, bringing chaos with it. He was going to return on Blood King's day and she needed to stop him.

Ray stood up "It's getting quite late."

It was late and Cora felt guilty because of how badly she wanted to sleep right now. She should probably be plotting how to stop the King of Shadows, but Ray was right there wasn't much they could do.

"Good night," He whispered in her ear. They're lips were barely a centimeter apart. She wanted to kiss him so badly but she resisted.

Instead she wrapped her hands around his neck. "Good night, Ray."

The next day moved at a snail's place. For some reason most of her class didn't show up to training today. Since she had missed so much training between her trip up Mt. Nevado and recovering from her concussion she had fallen considerably behind and had a hard time keeping up with the others.

After a long day of training Cora wandered through the castle corridors. Several students holding large boxes of decorations were scattered throughout the halls. They must be preparing for the Blood King's Day celebrations. She didn't think anyone would mind if she took a sneak peek at the decorations in the ballroom. She crept around the corner and into the ballroom.

She was so distracted she bumped into the someone on her way in. Cora was startled by the sound of birds squawking.

"Hey, it's alright. Calm down." Scarlet eased the birds until they were quiet. There were many brightly colored birds throughout the room. Cora wasn't sure what type of birds they were but, they looked exotic.