CHAPTER 10: TROUBLE.

"There Comes a Time, When you Have to Choose Between Turning The page And Closing The book."
~~ Josh Jameson.

She sprinkled the powder in the soup that was simmering before closing the lid and walking out of her kitchen. If minds had colors, hers would be pure white at that moment.

She felt certain, that this time it would work on him. This was the sixth time she put it in his food. One more time. He'd be in the palm of her hand by the morrow.
She smiled.

********
"Baba and children. You're just like him." Mami said as she folded the last of the wrappers, piled them up neatly and put them in the wardrobe.

"The children are his friends. Baba kenan. The man with white clothes. His love for white is something else."

Alhaji AbdulKareem was almost always wearing white clothes. He loved neatness. His room was always arranged in a certain order.
Everything sits in its place.

But Lubna's neatness wasn't inherited from him alone.
Hajiya Aisha was as clean as her husband. Almost to a fault. When Lubna was younger, she'd make her clean their rooms again and again until it was up-to her standard.
And Lubna would think of herself as a maid, not a daughter.

"Didi, you know I'll be returning to Sokoto soon. It's almost time for resumption." Mami's voice broke into her thoughts.

"I know. I wish you could stay here. Continue your studies here." Lubna said with a sigh.

"Iyyeh, someone's going to miss me."

"Who said anything about missing you? With your head like ball. I only want you to stay so you can help with the chores ne fa." She rolled her eyes at Mami.

"Ni yar aikin ki Koh?"

"Ah, you didn't know?"

They continued their chat for a while before going to bed.

Lubna felt happy and content as she lay on her bed with Firdausi sound asleep beside her.

She said her sleeping duas, for herself and her baby before drifting off. She looked peaceful even in her sleep.

Completely oblivious to the trouble lurking around.

Trouble in paradise.

*******
The next day, daddy came to Lubna's flat to see Safa, as he called her now.
They were sitting on the couch when he announced that he'd be leaving for Abuja in two days, to oversee the building of the new branch of M.I Baba block industry.

But, this time, it didn't feel like they were together. His eyes seemed distant, to Lubna. He looked like he was in a hurry, almost restless.

She was about to ask if something was wrong when he stood, placed Safa gently in her arms, and left the flat.

Lubna was stunned to silence.

He'd never done that before. Leaving without a look, never mind a smile.

"Did I do something wrong?" She thought

Mami's voice brought her back from her world of thoughts.

"Didi, where did you put the ground pepper?" She asked

"Um, I left it in my room."

"Okay."
Mami saw Lubna's expression. And she knew daddy was with her a few minutes ago. She couldn't help but ask.

"Are you alright Didi?"

"Uhm, yes. I'm fine Mami." Lubna managed a smile.

********
He sat slowly on the blue swivel chair in his room. His head was pounding so much even his eyes hurt.