CHAPTER 8: MAMI

"Whether One moves slowly, or with speed, The One who is Seeker Will be a Finder."
                     ~~Jalaludeen Rumi.

"Clean that up Rumaysah."

"May Allah bless her."

"She's beautiful Masha Allah."

"Hurry up Safiyyah."

The place was packed up and Mami and Safiyyah were working nonstop. Serving food, cleaning up places and so on.

"Okay, let's keep this in the kitchen and finish with the serving first.
Safiyyah said pointing at the big cooler filled with fried meat.

"Yes, I'm tired wallahi. I could sleep by 8 and wake up at 6." Mami replied

Alhaji Muhammad had slaughtered two rams for the ceremony.
One for the formal Radin Suna and the other for the mother of the child.

"Off you go now." Safiyyah said to Mami as she handed her a tray filled with bottles of Zobo and kunun aya.

Zubaida sat in Lubna's living room, chatting and laughing loudly. She looked happy. The exact opposite of what she truly felt.
But then, the crowd would soon be shaken. The thought made her smile.

She wanted to deflect the smile on their faces. Stir up a little trouble.

As if she was pricked by a thorn, she stood up

"The food is still not here? Ah ahn. Let me just check on them. Guests are left waiting for food kuma?"

She walked to the kitchen still ranting off and was stopped at the door by angry voices.

"Maybe the cooler developed legs and ran out kenan koh."  Anty Bilkisu whispered angrily.

"Anty, I only left the kitchen to take a bottle of Kunun aya to Lubna. She asked for...

Anty Bilkisu cut her off

"Then tell me if you see the cooler here. Who would take it for God's sake. She sighed.

Zubaida smiled inwardly and raised her voice

"Toh ina nama zai tafi. Someone must have took it.
Maybe you should check Lubna's room"

Impulsively, Mami glared at Hajiya Zubaida. And when she averted her eyes, she caught Safiyyah glaring at the same person.

"Maganan gaskiya. You cannot serve people without meat ai.
Abu ba armashi zasu ci?"
Zubaida raised her voice more, deliberately so people could hear.

It worked. Some people within earshot turned their heads with inquiring eyes.

"Two rams. It's not a joke. Idan ma boye wa akayi sai a fito dashi. Har menene naman rago kuma."

Anty Bilkisu was embarrassed and angry but she refused to say a word. If she did, it'd be a very harsh one and she didn't want any trouble.

Just when Safiyyah opened her mouth to say something, they heard a voice from the door.

"Hajiya I heard you talking about meat. But it's there, you said to leave it in your kitchen."

Zubaida turned sharply and glared at her maid. How could she be stupid enough to forget to tell her to shut her mouth about it?