Chapter Eighteen - Tear In My Heart

Weeks passed in the shelter. Liam made regular outings to the library for research, but to no avail. The morale significantly decreased as the group lost hope. The rain decreased, the clouds lifted, and springtime filled the air. Birds chirped in their nests as mother rabbits taught their babies the lay of the land.

Running low on feminine products, Macy decided to take Bailey with her on a supply run into town. They walked up and down the aisles of the store until Macy found what she was looking for.

"This is the size I use," she said, grabbing several large boxes of tampons from the shelf, putting them in the cart. "Will these work for you too?"

Bailey swallowed audibly and looked down. "I missed last month's period, and I should have cramps by now for this month."

"What?!" Macy gasped, looking at Bailey.

Bailey nodded. "I know."

"It's Darien, right?" she asked.

"How'd you know?" Bailey asked, looking up.

"Luke is on the other side of wall from Darien, Bailey. We've heard some things."

Bailey covered her face with her hands. "That's so embarrassing. I'm sorry."

"Hey, no. It's okay," Macy assured her, putting a hand on her back. "Let's get a pregnancy test, okay? We don't need to tell anyone if you're not pregnant."

"What are the chances that I'm not?"

"Did you guys use protection ever?" Macy asked.

Bailey shook her head.

"Well, stress can cause you to miss periods, and although we have been in a pretty stressful situation, you're probably pregnant. Why didn't you get protection?"

"Darien and I didn't want anyone to know, and we never go out on the supply runs, so we didn't want to ask anyone for them."

"Bailey, none of us care that you're dating Darien. We care about your health and safety. Plus, even though you know him pretty well by now, you don't know what he could be carrying. He was homeless for eight years, and an addict for three. And do you really want him to father your children?"

"He'd never slept with anyone before me. He'd never kissed anyone before me, either. And we're not dating. It's just physical. I didn't think that I'd end up pregnant though," Bailey said on the verge of tears. "I don't know what I was thinking. It just happened one night and he tried to just blow me off, but then got super jealous when I hung out with Liam. He uses me to numb the pain, I use him to soothe my loneliness." She started to cry.

Macy pulled the girl into a hug and stroked her hair. "Hey, it's okay. You have a really great support system. We'll help you raise this baby, but if you wanna give it up for adoption, that's okay too." She smiled at Bailey. "You deserve more than Darien is giving you. That's not a healthy relationship. And if I'm being honest, I thought you liked Liam all this time, so hearing from Luke you were sleeping with Darien was kind of surprising."

Bailey gave a lopsided smile. "Liam's very kind, and funny. He's also incredibly optimistic even though our situation is dire. He's my best friend. I'm also definitely keeping the baby. I was in foster care. It was terrible, and even though I'm not the most equipped to deal with a baby, I'm not letting my child go through what I did."

"I support you all the way, Bailey. And is that you saying you do like Liam?" Macy laughed.

"Yeah, but I'm having Darien's baby, so it doesn't really matter."

"You know, just because you're having his baby doesn't mean you need to put up with him using you," Macy added. "He can be in the kid's life, but he doesn't need to be with you."