Chapter Seven - Smithereens

Luke and Macy walked out of the room together. Macy followed Luke into his room, where he began to put things in a backpack. She sat on his bed.

"How'd the talk go?" he asked.

"It went okay. He's having pretty bad withdrawals. I told him I'd pick up some sports drinks for him when Jacob and I go on that supply run later."

Luke grabbed a shirt from his drawer and took off the shirt he was wearing. "I think I should be going with you into town instead of Jacob," he said, slipping into the clean shirt. "How did the emotional side of the talk go?"

Macy laid back onto the bed with her legs over the side. "I think it went well. He opened up a little. He told me I was in good company and I didn't need to be afraid of showing my sadness. He seems kind-hearted. And, Jacob can protect me in town, we'll be okay."

"It's not about your safety," Luke said with a smirk. "My read of Darien in the beginning was wrong. He was hiding the truth, yes, but not with the intentions of harming us. I hope we're able to find something of substance at the house. It'll be a waste of gas money if we don't."

Macy propped herself up with her elbows. "Not about my safety, eh?" she asked.

Luke zipped up his backpack. "Maybe I enjoy your company, Turner," he said, looking her in the eye.

Macy sat up, looking at him walking toward her. "Is that so, Buchanan?"

He smirked. "So can I come with you or not?"

"You could, but I haven't had much one on one time with my brother lately," she said.

"Next time then," Luke said with a smile, running his hands through his hair. He grabbed his backpack and started for the living room, Macy following behind him.

"Luke, wait," Macy said quickly.

He turned, seeing her stopped in the hallway, studying his figure with her eyes. Her face was overwhelmed with melancholy, her lips twisted into a frown. "What is it?" he asked softly.

Biting her lip, she hesitated for a moment, then wrapped her arms around his waist, pulling him into a hug, burying her face in his chest, and clenching the back of his shirt. He hugged her back.

"Is everything okay?" he whispered, stroking her hair.

Macy pulled away a bit and looked up to him, tears filling her eyes. "I miss my parents, Luke. I've been doing okay, but talking to Darien today, it just brought up everything."

Luke grabbed her tighter, burying his face in her hair, breathing in the smell of her shampoo. "You didn't have to talk to him, he would've been okay."

"I've been where he is, and I wanted someone who understood me. I couldn't let him drown in his fear, Luke. I don't have it within me to deny someone the empathy that younger me needed."

Luke smiled. "You're an amazing person, Macy," he told her as he wiped the tears from her face.

Macy took a deep breath and pulled out of the hug. "I'm okay now. Let's go talk to the others."

Luke walked beside her out to the living room, where Bailey was still tending to Liam, and Jacob was sitting reading a book. Macy walked over to Liam and sat by Bailey.

"How's he doing?" she asked.

"The fever hasn't broken yet, and he's burning up," Bailey replied. "I changed the dressing on his foot, and tried to clean it up more, so hopefully that will be enough to hold him till you get back from your supply run with medicine."