Chapter Thirteen - Holding On To You

Bailey stayed patiently by Darien's side, awake, all night. Sat at the end of his bed, she continued to read 11/22/63. Darien stirred a little bit, but for the most part was quiet.

The room was dark saved for the small beam of light provided by the lamp behind Bailey. The darkness was all-consuming. The cherry paneled walls seemed to close in on her the longer she read. Then something moved. Bailey's eyes snapped up from page and stared intently on the corner farthest from her. She studied the darkness, trying to identify the source of movement. Though her breathing stilled, her heart continued pounding inside her chest.

"Who's there?" she whispered, her voice breaking the still of the room. Fear coursed through her veins, chilling her to the bone.

A hollow tapping sound came from the wall behind her, on the other side of which was nothing but the cold, dark earth. Bailey sat up straight, opening her mouth to take a deep breath but her lungs were entirely frozen. She moved, turning her head slightly to look behind her. A shadow, in the form of a hand, spiraled towards her from the dark abyss in the corner.

"Bailey!" Darien screamed, springing from the bed to flip on the overhead light.

Bailey shrieked as her knees gave out. Darien rushed to catch her before her skull could break on the concrete floor. She looked up at him with wide eyes and all the blood drained from her face.

"W-What was that?" she stammered.

"I don't know," he responded, holding her closer.

Luke burst into the room. "What happened?! Bailey, are you okay?"

Bailey looked at Luke, not moving from Darien's arms. "There was something in here."

"Was it a person?" Luke asked, crouching down to her level.

She shook her head. "No. I don't know what it was."

"There was tapping on the other side of this wall," Darien said, nodding his head toward the wall.

"There's no way. There's nothing on the other side of that wall. It's just dirt. We're underground," Luke said.

"I know. But I also know what I heard. It woke me up," Darien insisted.

"Bloody hell," Luke sighed, rubbing his forehead.

"It's because of the board."

"Darien, it's just a piece of wood. It doesn't have any power."

"I think he's right," Bailey said. "Remember what Liam said about the door staying open?"

"Wait, what did Liam say?" Darien asked.

"There's no 'goodbye' on the board which means you can't close the door that you open when you start using it," Bailey explained.

"It's not even in the shelter. Jackson put it outside," Luke reasoned.

Darien shook his head, "You really think a demon is going to look at the door and ladder and be like 'Damn, can't go down there. They have sticks covering the hatch.'? I'm pretty sure demons could pass through walls if they wanted to."

Luke sighed and looked up at the ceiling. "Macy and I are going to the library in the morning. We'll take the board with us and leave it in a dumpster."

Liam walked into the room. "Guys, I just had a another dream."

"What was it about?" Luke asked.

"I saw the board again. Two women, a blonde and a brunette, were holding hands with the Dean, performing a seance above the board. They moved their hands to the planchette and it started moving sporadically. I saw a dark figure appear from the board and latch itself onto the Dean's back, causing his eyes to roll back in his head and the lights flickered. A boy was standing outside the room, witnessing everything, and he cried out for the Dean but a force threw him away."