Chapter Twelve - Nico And The Niners

Bailey came out of the bathroom to see Liam in the kitchen making a sandwich.

"Liam! You're supposed to be resting your foot!" she said.

"I've been resting for so long. Plus I didn't want you to have to make me food," he replied. "I'm tired of being an invalid. It was fun at first, but I want my freedom back."

"You will get your freedom back once you're fully healed!"

"That's a no from me," he laughed.

"Once you're done making that sandwich I want to check your foot. It's probably about time to change the dressing," Bailey said, sitting down on the couch.

Liam licked the peanut butter off the knife before setting it in the sink. "All ready for you, Doc!"

He hobbled over to the couch and sat next to Bailey. Bailey put on gloves and started to unwrap the gauze. The wound had made significant healing progress. The bruising had subsided and the infection was completely gone. The glue Bailey had administered in place of stitches seemed to be working, and a fresh scab had formed.

"This looks so good, Liam! It's healed so well!"

"Am I off bedrest?" he asked.

Bailey rolled her eyes. "I suppose."

"I'm a free man!"

"Don't go too crazy though. You don't want the healing to regress," Bailey said, wrapping fresh gauze around his foot.

"What do you want to do till they get back?" Liam asked.

Bailey shrugged. "I'm game for anything. Wish we had a TV."

"Bailey," Liam laughed, "this is temporary shelter, not a resort."

"Oh hush," she said, hitting him with the back of her hand. "I know that, games just get boring after a while."

"You could read a book. My grandpa stocked this place full of good literature. He always had his nose in a book," Liam suggested.

"What do you suggest?" she asked, walking over to the bookshelf.

"Well that depends on how much reading you want to do. Les Miserables is a favorite of mine, but it's almost a thousand pages. A shorter, easier to read book that's just as good is Stephen King's 11/22/63."

Bailey grabbed that off the shelf. "I think I'll go with that one. I haven't read any of Stephen King's books, but I do like his movies!"

She sat beside Liam on the couch. Liam picked up The Hobbit from the coffee table and flipped it open to where he'd last left off. They read the hours away, enjoying the silence of each other's company. Night fell over the shelter and before they knew it, the group had returned.

Jacob was the first down the ladder, followed by Jackson and Macy. Slowly, Luke climbed down the ladder, carrying the unconscious Darien over his shoulder. Bailey rushed to his side and took some of his weight.

"What happened?" she asked, helping Luke carry him to his bedroom.

"Well, he seemed a little out of it when we got to the house," Luke said, setting Darien gently on the bed.

"He was completely checked out. His eyes were glossed over and he was visibly shaking," Macy added.

"I knew that trip was gonna be too much for him. He should've just stayed here," Bailey said. She felt his forehead. "No fever."

"Another thing, we found some stuff at the house. Pictures mostly. But we found something else," Luke said hesitantly.

"What is it?" Bailey asked.

"We found a ouija board and a book of spells," he replied.

"Darien vomited immediately when he saw it," Macy said.

"I'm sorry." Liam walked in the room. "You said you found a ouija board and a book of spells?"

Luke nodded. "They're in my backpack."

"I'll get Darien taken care of, go talk to Liam out in the living room," Bailey said. She sat beside him on the bed as the group left.

Luke grabbed the book and board from the backpack and set them on the table for Liam to inspect.

"I dreamed about this," Liam said, cautiously holding the book.

"You dreamed about that book?" Jackson asked.

"The ouija board too. It wasn't just any ouija board though, it was this specific one. It had these burn marks, and if you notice, there's no 'goodbye' written on it." Liam gestured to a blank spot on the board. "Every single ouija board has to have a 'goodbye' on it. That's the only way to close the spiritual door you open by using it."

"Why wouldn't it have that?" Jacob asked.

"It looks like it was handmade," Liam said, turning the board over, noticing a date and location branded into the wood.

"1984, Jordan, Minnesota," Macy read aloud. "I wonder if we can trace this back to a specific person. That may explain why there's no 'goodbye'."

"We can go up to the library to research tomorrow. Maybe Darien will be up by then and can tell us a little bit more about the board," Luke said.

"He obviously had some connection with it if he vomited upon seeing it," Liam reasoned. "That, or there's extremely sinister forces at work around this thing. We probably shouldn't leave this down here."

"I'll put it outside," Jackson said, grabbing the board and heading up the ladder.

Macy pulled Luke to the side. "Satanic items aren't something I feel super comfortable messing around with. Calvin dabbled with some of that stuff. He even got a tattoo on his neck of a pentagram with a goat head in it."

Luke wrapped his arms around her. "The sooner we figure out what all this means, the sooner we can get rid of it. Do you wanna come with me to the library tomorrow?"

"Sure," she said, burying her face in his chest, breathing in his scent.

"Let's get you to bed, baby girl. You look tired."

"I'm okay. It's just been a draining couple days," Macy replied, rubbing her eyes.

"Still. It's late." Luke picked her up and threw her over his shoulder.

"Luke!" Macy exclaimed. "Put me down!"

"Nope. No can do. It's bedtime," he laughed, walking her towards her room.

Macy sighed and gave up the struggle. When they reached her room, Luke threw her onto the bed.

"You suck," she said.

"You need to be well-rested for our trip to town tomorrow," Luke said, crossing his arms.

"I'm barely even tired, Luke," Macy said, being cut off by a yawn.

"Sure," Luke said with a smirk.

"I still need to brush my teeth, though."

"Oh," he said, "that's right. I do too."

Macy shook her head and walked to the bathroom, Luke following closely behind. When they finished brushing their teeth, Macy gave Luke a long hug then headed to her room.

"See you in the morning, Turner," he said with a smile.

"Sleep well, Buchanan."