Chapter 27

David's POV

I snort of the laughter as we walk out of Declan's place. I know he is punching me in the ribs for doing what I did, but it doesn't matter now. His mother just really has a way to rile me up with every opportunity she gets. What is it with that woman? Can she really be that vain or is it low self-esteem talking? Not that I care. The only person who means anything to me at this stage is Declan, and he has nothing of that woman in him. I can hardly see any resemblance that they are related in any way or form.

I think about calling a cab, but I do feel the walk might be better.

"I'm sorry about what happened. I just can't stand the way they treat you Dex. And we need to talk about that," I say, taking Declan's hand as we walk down the street.

"What is there to talk about? It's not like I can change them," Declan says with a sigh.

"We might not be able to change the people around us, but we can change our own lives," I answer. This is the moment everything should change. This is the moment out dreams should come true.

"What will you have me do?"

"I want us to be together, forever. You know that, right Dex?"

A car speeds by us, drowning out the last two words I said and giving Declan a chance to ponder before he answers.

"Forever is an awfully long time, are you sure you won't get tired of me?"

"What?" I say and stop walking, turning to Declan. "What do you mean by that? I love you."

"I love you too, I'm just worried... I don't know. I'm sorry, just forget I said anything," Declan says, turning his head away to look at the bench on the sidewalk.

"No. I can't just forget. What's going on Declan? You said no secrets. So tell me what's going on," I say. I can't stand it when someone starts something and then doesn't finish it. I can't just forget what he has said. I can't unhear something. Believe me, I've tried.

"I'm just insecure, I haven't seen you in weeks, and I just feel like we're disconnected?"

"Seriously Dex? We've been talking every night on Skype. I've really been trying my best. Work has just been a bit stressful, that's all. But that doesn't mean my feelings for you have changed. I mean... Why are you feeling disconnected? Is it something I said? Did?"

I know I haven't changed, so why would we have changed? Why would Declan feel disconnected?

"It's... I feel like you're not telling me something... and I realise I may just be paranoid. I've never been the most stable minded person. It's just how I feel," Declan says and I know he's right. There's many things I haven't told him, but none that would actually hurt him.

"I tell you everything Dex. Since we've been together there isn't a thing I haven't shared with you. The only thing that you don't know yet is the dates for the South American tour and that's only because I only got the final dates yesterday and I wanted to tell you in person," I answer.

"I guess I'm just a bit uncomfortable with all the secrets surrounding us... that they're just trying to make more money by keeping our relationship a mystery. I can't help but wonder is all..."

"So that's what's bothering you? Our relationship not being open for the world to see? Then we fix it, okay? We make a vlog tonight and I will have the entire world meet you then. God knows, people are dying to know what D looks like, and I would be proud to show you to them. Fuck the publishers. It's not like they can control my private life. They can give advice, but Peter has nothing to do with us," I say. I am serious. I will show Declan to the whole world if need be. I would be proud to have him next to me.