Chapter 24

Declan's POV

I don't think a boy has ever held my hand for this long. I am completely overwhelmed. My head is still spinning from my experience in the bookshop. I have never known people like that. Where I come from people are polite and know that their words have consequences. I am afraid I may have been a bit rude but she was pushing a bit too hard. I hope Davy didn't take offence that I spoke to her the way I did. I look over at him as we walk. He is slightly shorter than me. His hair looks so soft, I feel like running my hands through it. When he looks at me I have no idea what to do with myself. I feel awkward and shy. I am used to feeling assertive and confident when I am with other boys but this is David, he's not just a silly school boy. He's all man to me. We have been walking for a while in a comfortable silence that I am too scared to break. I can't believe how close I'm living to him now. My grandparents house isn't too far from the bookshop. I don't think I have ever had to sleep on a couch because there is no room for me in the house. I wonder if he's feeling as awkward as I am. He seems so confidant, like he doesn't have a care in the world. He kissed me in front of people, he wasn't ashamed or scared. Being in his arms made me feel less scared. I think I should break this silence. I take a deep breath.

"Davy...?" I ask. Great, now I've started talking and my mouth is so dry, I have no idea what I should say next.

"Yeah Dex?" he says. He's looking at me with those eyes.

"I'm sorry about earlier. I didn't mean to be rude," I say. Was that stupid? I should have said something else.

"You weren't rude. People here are just kinda different, you know? They say exactly what they think and feel and we try our best to protect each other. So not rude. Just... Please don't take offence. Have of the rude stuff people say here they don't even mean," he says. It might be difficult not to take things to heart. It's something I have always struggled with. When people say things in a joking manner, about the very things I actually do think of myself. It makes me think that they think those things of me too. Like the fact that they said it, is proof.

"I suppose you would think the people I have grown up with are rude. I think I'm just a bit sensitive, especially after everything that's happened," I say. I wish I could stop thinking of my father. Earlier in the bookshop when I got heated, I couldn't help but think of how much I sounded like father. It's like he was speaking for me. As strange as it may sound, I do miss him.

"I know. And you know what... None of these people mean anything to me if I had to choose between you and them. I love you and you should know that by now," he says. How have I gotten this lucky?

"I do know that Davy and I am so thankful for you," I say.

"There's just something I need you to know. Before we get to my house," I stop walking, bringing him to a halt next to me.

"What? Should I be scared?" I ask.

"Honestly? I don't know. I just don't want you to have another culture shock without being prepared. It's just... My life is quite different than yours. Don't expect anything fancy. Take the least fancy house you have ever been in and tone that down with like a million, okay?" he says. I wasn't expecting much really, I haven't even thought about what his house may look like.

"I must say my grandparents aren't well off either. I have been sleeping on a couch in a tiny living room. I won't expect anything grand and I don't think I would want to. I want to be with someone real. You're real Davy," I say.

"Well, get ready for reality then. That's my house," he says.

"Reality... it has always been some kind of mystery to me. As long as I have you next to me, I think I can handle anything," I say. I look at the small house and wonder about the other people that live here. Not in a bad way, but I am curious.