Chapter 6

Declan's POV

I've been awake for hours, I couldn't sleep anymore. My father came home early, he arrived for dinner last night. I had to go back to my room and change for dinner. He wanted to speak with me in private after dinner. All I could think of while he spoke was David, how I wanted him to just show up and rescue me. When I got back to my room, I immediately checked my phone. I fell asleep with his message floating in my mind. Who do I want to be?

"Declan, baby, are you are awake?" My mother opens the door and I turn away from her. I won't let her see me cry.

"Declan, I know it is hard but you must be strong. There is so much pressure on our young people these days and I don't pretend to know how you are feeling but just humour him. For the family." She doesn't say anything else. She just leaves the room and I am left feeling empty. Her words may have sounded kind but I know her true intentions.

"You don't know anything!" I scream out and grab the closest thing to me, my glass of water I brought to bed last night. I throw it against the wall and watch the glass shatter into a million pieces. Jessica jumps off of the bed in shock, she makes a run for it, scratching against the door to get away from me. Guilt floods through me.

"Jessica, I'm sorry... please don't leave me," I whisper. My door opens and Jessica runs out. I let out a sob as Hazel walks in. She knows what to do in these situations.

"It's alright Declan, I will clean that up. Go, get back into bed. I will sing to you," Hazel says. I pull myself together enough to do as she says. I get into bed and bury my face in the pillow. Hazel sits next to ma starts stroking my hair. She starts humming that all too familiar tune. She's always sung me this song when I lose myself. I've been this way since I was a child. When it all gets a bit too much for me.

She sings 'Baby Mine' sung by the wonderful Bette Midler.

"Baby mine, don't you cry

Baby mine, dry your eyes

Rest your head close to my heart

Never to part, baby of mine"

I move my head onto her chest, the tears flowing from my eyes. She continues to stroke my hair.

"Little one, when you play

Pay no heed what they say

Let your eyes sparkle and shine

Never a tear, baby of mine"

My sobbing increases and I hold onto her like she is my life. This song has always made me feel a bit too much. When she sings to me, it is the only time I ever let out the tears. I allow the sorrow to pour from me.

"If they knew all about you

They'd end up loving you, too

All those same people who scold you

What they'd give just for the right to hold you"

I allow her to hold me and rock me from side to side.

"From your head down to your toes

You're not much, goodness knows

But, you're so precious to me

Sweet as can be, baby of mine"

She finishes off the song and carries on humming. I try to take a breath but I just end up coughing. Hazel pulls a tissue from her pocket and offers it to me. I blow my nose and I feel slightly calmer. I breathe deeply and sigh. I am so very tired.