Yes, I just might do that.

Or I could just go for a run in their forest and skip the chit-chat.

However, that didn't sit quite right with me. As irritating as it was, I had an itch to see the little beast. I could even bring him some ridiculously expensive toys to annoy Everett. Then again, I'd done that before, but I couldn't remember Everett protesting about me buying something for Ollie... Except for that time the things I sent over to my father's house had been so many, they'd needed to be delivered by humans in several trucks, thus disturbing the pack. I could head back inside right now and do some online shopping, but...

I didn't feel like it.

I didn't feel like doing anything.

Apart from the Adrian-related irritations I'd gone through today, I'd felt numb.

Turning around, I leaned my back on the fence and looked up at the night sky. Even though the city was polluted, you could still see some stars sparkling brightly against the dark background.

Boring.

My gaze then fell to my pool. I barely ever used it, but it was clean and full. I pushed myself off the fence and strolled around the edge, dim lights illuminating the water. It should be cool inside it; I had some gadget installed to regulate the temperature and I made sure it was lower than that of the summer air. It cost a lot to keep it that way, but damn it, I could afford it.

Holding my breath, I closed my eyes and took a step forward.

The sounds from the street below disappeared as the water enveloped me.

It was dark... Cold... Peaceful.

That was how I felt: peaceful.

Until the water started filling my lungs, slowly replacing the air that was in them.

Not yet. I could hold on a little longer, I thought, even as my body began to spasm. Why couldn't the enchanting feeling of peaceful nothingness last longer?

The need to breathe was yet another annoyance. As my body began to convulse more harshly, I realized it was time to get out. Just as the thought crossed my mind, something slammed against my nape, took hold of the collar of my shirt and I was lifted out of the water.

"Alec!" Someone shook me and a familiar voice rang out in my ears as I coughed. It and the sounds of a night in the city.

So much for my peace and quiet.

"Alec, are you alright?"

I wiped my eyes and looked at the figure crouched next to me as I was sitting at the edge of my pool, my feet still in the water.

"Did you fall? Did you hurt yourself?"

"Don't they teach you guys to stay cool and collected when others are in danger?" I asked of an obviously distressed Adrian.

"You are in danger?" He actually looked about as if searching for an intruder who might've pushed me.

"Only if I go to the deep end of the pool," I replied calmly, pulling my legs from the water and getting up. "I can't swim."

The Sentinel gaped at me, blinking stupidly as he tried to process what I've just said.

"You can't swim?" He asked slowly, also rising to his feet.

"I'm a man of many talents, but that's not one of them," I explained as I got inside, leaving a trail of water behind me.

"But you have a pool?" The unbelieving voice and the man it belonged to were right behind me. "Why?"