7. The art of baking cookies.

Start from the beginning

"Wren," my dad popped his head into my room. "It's going to be a long day today, down at the office, so I have a slight favour to ask."

It's come to a point in our relationship where I really had no clue he was even home, and it occurred to me that our few conversation never strayed far from him telling me that he was going to work, or him asking for favours.

"Sure, uh, what is it?" I asked.

"Well, you know the banquet they throw every year?" I nodded. "Our department has been specifically requested to uphold the 'baked goods' side of things, and I volunteered you for the cookie making, is that okay? We'd need about ten batches."

You could say I was surprised for two reasons. One: I had actually never had the joy of baking cookies before, and two: he asked if that was okay. He was actually wondering if I was alright for it! Then again, it was a whole ten batches.

"Yeah, I guess that'd be fine," I smiled, and for the first time, my father was receiving a genuine smile from me.

"Great! Maybe you could even invite a friend over to help," I was too happy to even point out that I didn't really have any friends. Well, I guess that was a lie now, thanks to some stupid blue eyed boy, who makes my heart pound like crazy.

Yeah, maybe Liam isn't too horrible in the kitchen.

My dad, my so very polite dad, left without anther word, just a smile on his face. A smile didn't leave my face either until after I heard the front door close and the car unlock outside.

Shutting my book, I reached for my phone on the bedside table. My mind wasn't really focused today, and my drawings, for once, were just mindless doodles filling the pages. There was no need to sketch out my nightmares -- which were technically not nightmares anymore -- because I knew if I saw anything in my vision, and be meeting them face-to-face pretty soon.

Last night I had a pretty peaceful night, from the few and short hours Lydia's had with me, I've gained somewhat control over the little things, and I've been getting heaps more shut-eye than I'm even used to. The only visions I got were a few flashes of a rash on someone's back and hand. It was incredibly weird, and I can't work out why I would've seen something like that. Other than it looking totally disgusting, it didn't seem supernatural related.

I decided not to question it further, my mind's already messed up as it is, I pretty sure I don't need something like this on it too. Besides, I have Liam to worry about. Ever since we hugged last night, I've felt weird. I mean, sure, we've hugged plenty of times before, but this time it felt different. And my legs felt like jelly for the while of last night after it, not too mention my heart was beating so fast, and I knew Liam could hear it.

Stupid werewolf senses.

Nevertheless, I opened up my contacts and scrolled until I found Liam's name, hitting call.

It only took one ring for him to pick up, "hey, Wren!"

Despite the fact he sound awfully cheery, I let a smile wash over my face. "Hey, uh, are you, by any chance, free today and good in the kitchen?"

There was a slight pause on the line, before he answered. "Well, I am known to make the best mac 'n cheese ever, and the only thing I'm doing on this fine day is beating my record on video games. I've gotten surprisingly good lately."

I laughed, and soon he joined in too. I realise now how glad I am that I have Liam in my life, because without him, I don't think I'd ever have laughed again. He just seemed to make everything lighter. "Great, because I have about ten batches of cookies to make . . ."