| 37 |

~=~

  "Secretary Ross has a Congressional Medal of Honor, which is one more than either of you have," Rhodey pointed out, speaking to Sam and Astrilde. The latter had waited in the living room for everyone else to appear, her dagger hidden from sight before they even walked in. Tony hadn't even bothered to yell at her, and nobody mentioned what she had said earlier.

  "And that means what to me? Do not forget that I am not of this world," Astrilde responded calmly, her voice light and airy despite the serious conversation.

  "So let's say we agree to this thing," Sam started before Rhodey could respond. "How long is it gonna be before they LoJack us like a bunch of common criminals?" I assume not very long.

  "117 countries want to sign this. 177, both of you, and you're just like 'No, that's cool. We got it.'" Rhodey said, frustration slipping into his voice.

  "How long are you going to play both sides?" Sam retorted.

  "I have an equation," Vision interrupted the three. Astrilde turned to look at the android, glancing at Wanda, who sat next to him.

  "Oh, oh this'll clear it up."

  "In the six or so years since Mr. Stark announced himself as Iron Man, the number of known enhanced persons has grown exponentially. And, during the same period, the number of potentially world-ending events has risen at a commensurate rate." Astrilde didn't even blink at the statistics. Earth would have fallen to ruin by an alien race at some point, it was bound to happen. However, she could see Vision's point. The more firepower you have, the more threatening situations arrive to be combated by said firepower.

  "Are you saying it's our fault?" Steve asked. He held the Sokovia Accords book in his hands, pausing only to add to the conversation.

  "I'm saying there may be a causality. Our very strength invites challenge. Challenge incites conflict. And conflict... breeds catastrophe. Oversight... oversight is not an idea that can be dismissed out of hand."

  "Boom," Rhodey said, glancing at Sam and Astrilde. Astrilde sighed, knowing the truth of Vision's words, but also recognizing counterpoints to the argument. She finally moved, walking over to sit next to Wanda, who moved over just enough so their legs were touching but both were comfortable. Her heart fluttered, but it was soon shut down by Natasha's observation.

  "Tony. You are being uncharacteristically non-hyperverbal." Astrilde looked at her friend, who, frankly, looked horrible. She guessed that he hadn't slept in days, by how pronounced the bags under his eyes were.

  "It's 'cause he's already made up his mind," Steve said, voice grim.

  "Boy, you know me so well," Tony said, finally sitting up from the lounging position he was in. "Actually, I'm nursing an electromagnetic headache." Tony stood as he spoke, walking to the kitchen nearby. "That's what's going on, Cap. It's just pain. It's discomfort.

  "Who's putting coffee grounds in the disposal? Am I running a bed and breakfast for a biker gang?" Tony paused, pulling out his phone. He set it down, tapping it, and causing a picture of a young man to project. He looked down for a few seconds, sighing.

  "Oh! That's Charles Spencer by the way. He's a great kid. Computer engineering degree, 3.6 GPA... had a floor-level gig at Intel planned for the fall. But first, he wanted to put a few miles on his soul, before he parked it behind a desk. See the world. Maybe be of service. Charlie didn't want to go to Vegas or Fort Lauderdale, which is what I would do. He didn't go to Paris or Amsterdam, which sounds fun.