| 18 |

~=~

  What felt like countless minutes was actually ten as Astrilde surveyed the rising city of Sokovia. It seemed to have slowed a bit, though it was hard to tell it was even moving amongst the clouds surrounding it. The helicarrier she stood on wasn't much better, since she couldn't feel it even as it's rotors churned at each corner.

  A burst of bright red magic alerted Astrilde that Wanda was still alive. It came from the heart of the city, exactly where all of the Avengers had left the girl to protect the core. Unwanted worry swept over Astrilde's form as the magic faded in the distance.

  Suddenly, overwhelming pain swept over Astrilde's body, and she cried out as she fell on her hands and knees. Her hands burned as the pavement beneath them scratched them. She couldn't focus on that pain though, as the familiar anguish of a bond being broken ran through her system. Wanda and Pietro's platonic bond of love was strong, and the death she could recognize as Pietro's sparked Astrilde's unwanted powers. It horrified her that love hurt so much, even after she had felt this familiar pain time and time again.

  Her heart clenched. The twins didn't deserve any of it. She had heard their story. While they had been out of control and hurt people, they didn't deserve anything as horrible as death. As horrible as a broken bond.

  A catatonic-like state graced Astrilde for longer than she would have preferred, with a hand rested on her chest and another on the tarmac. One tear, all she would allow for the bond, hit the tarmac. It wrestled her out of her state enough for her to lean back on her legs. She wasn't sure she was strong enough to stand, so she didn't attempt so.

  That was just in time for her to see the Vision carrying a brunette towards Astrilde. He landed gracefully beside the Asgardian, glancing at her in an unspoken question. She nodded to him, and he set Wanda on her feet before flying off. The Maximoff twin had tears coating her cheeks, and nearly fell before Astrilde caught her- suddenly on her feet.

  "Let's go inside," Astrilde said, her voice strong despite the flurry of emotions inside of her. The Maximoff girl looked up at Astrilde, her eyes filled with tears. "I'm sorry," The goddess whispered, her voice cracking that time. She put her arm around Wanda, escorting the girl toward the entrance to the helicarrier. She didn't even cringe when she felt Wanda put her arms around her, nor did she cringe when she felt tears through the fabric part of her armor.

Love damages people. Though, I've seen it be so much better. Oh mother... what do I do?

~=~