| 21 |

^ Astrilde's outfit above

~=~

Avengers Tower - A Few Months Later; With Astrilde's POV

 "Please, Wanda. I need somebody to explore the city with!" Astrilde was practically begging Wanda to join her on an excursion. The Scarlet Witch was apprehensive to say the least. She had explained to Astrilde that going into the city after being considered an enemy only a few months prior wasn't the best idea in the world. Astrilde, however, had insisted that the public wasn't aware of that "minor detail" and that it was perfectly safe.

  Safe to say, Wanda caved. "If I join you, will you stop bothering me?" Wanda asked, though her voice wasn't annoyed in the slightest, and she was smiling softly. Astrilde, in response, grinned widely. Wanda set down an American magazine she happened to pick up, and stood.

  "Thank you, Wanda!" Astrilde praised the other girl. With that, Astrilde left Wanda's bedchambers in search of her own for a suitable outfit.

  Tony had, thankfully, gifted her with Midgardian clothing, which she was gracious for. Apparently, Tony's girlfriend had picked out the outfits, and surprisingly had gotten Astrilde's style down pretty closely. Though, there were some items she wasn't sure about.

  Astrilde quickly changed into one of the warmer outfits she possessed, since New York City was becoming colder and colder everyday. Once dressed, she looked in the mirror to make sure it didn't look horrible. She frowned at the rips in her jeans at the knees, a design she could easily point out every flaw of. For some reason though, that type of clothing was popular in Midgard. The shoes she wore weren't much better. The heeled boots in Midgard were just as horrendous as Asgard's, yet she had still worn them. She was, though, thankful for the plain cream long sleeved shirt and pretty fake-fur vest. Both items of clothing were something she could get behind.

  Not bothering with makeup, Astrilde ran, as quick as she could in heels, to Wanda's room. Just as she was about to knock, Wanda exited.

  "Are you ready to go?" Wanda asked, smiling warmly at the Asgardian.

  "Of course!" Astrilde bounced in a child-like excitement. She grabbed Wanda's hand, and practically dragged the younger girl to the elevator.

***

  The duo walked through the streets of Queens, just talking and enjoying the day. Astrilde was thankful that the weather was nicer that day, though she knew Wanda wasn't. After all, Wanda had decided that wearing a beanie would help her stay inconspicuous. Astrilde had tried to convince Wanda otherwise, but the efforts were fruitless.

  "I heard there's a good deli nearby," Wanda mentioned, causing Astrilde to focus her attention on Wanda instead of the impossibly tall buildings surrounding them.

  "We should go! I love Midgardian sandwiches!" Astrilde responded eagerly, her pace already picking up even though she didn't know where she was going.

  "Wait up, Astrilde," Wanda laughed, grabbing Astrilde's arm.

  "Oh, sorry," Astrilde apologized, but she was still grinning.

  Wanda led the shorter woman to the small, local deli, named 'Delmar's Deli-Grocery'. They entered the small deli just as the man behind the counter was taking an order. "The usual, Parker?" A man behind the counter asked a young boy, who was probably around the age of 14 or 15.

  "Of course, Mr. Delmar." The boy responded, a bit shyly. Soon a sandwich was given to the boy, and he happily took and paid for it. "Thank you!"

  The boy neared Wanda and Astrilde, barely even glancing at them. His focus was entirely on the door in front of him, which was his downfall as he tripped. Astrilde quickly caught the boy, not caring if she moved quicker than a mortal could. Sadly, the sandwich was not as lucky.

  "Are you ok?" Astrilde asked him as she helped him stand up.

  "U-uh y-yeah. T-thank you," The brown-haired boy stuttered, glancing at Astrilde briefly before looking at the floor again.

  "No problem," Astrilde responded kindly, smiling at the boy even though he couldn't see her. She knelt down and picked up his sandwich, holding it out for him. "I think it'll be fine to eat, since it is still wrapped."

  "H-huh?" The boy asked, looking up from his shoes. His face turned red when he noticed Astrilde holding out his sandwich. He graciously took the sandwich, and thanked Astrilde before scurrying out of the deli.

  "Astrilde, it's our turn," Wanda tapped Astrilde's shoulder, causing her to turn.

  "Oh, of course," Astrilde said distractedly.

***

Avengers Tower; With Wanda's POV

  "New York is amazing. It's so much more different than Asgard, as is all of Midgard," Astrilde reflected. Wanda and her were back at Avengers Tower, sitting on the balcony. Both were more bundled than they were earlier in the day, since the sun had set and the temperature had dropped.

  "What do you mean by that?"

  "It always felt like there was something held over me in Asgard. My... father wasn't very allowing, especially after Loki came here to Midgard. I think I dreamed of Midgard because I wanted to be free, and I've stuck by that dream until I arrived. Then, I was thrust into a world more crazy than imagined, but even with all of the horrid things that have happened I can't help but feel that this is where I'm meant to be."

  "And here I was, thinking that you'd rather be on Asgard," Wanda joked lightly.

  "There may have been times where I would. Now though, I'm not so sure."

  "Well, are you happy here?" Astrilde turned to Wanda at her words.

  "I think so." Wanda felt her face warm up just a tinge, but was thankful that Astrilde would take it as the cold temperature. "Are you cold? We could go inside," Astrilde offered quietly, watching Wanda with worry. The Asgardian's brown eyes shone in the lights of the entire city that surrounded her, and Wanda couldn't tear her own gaze from them. Astrilde's light brown hair fell perfectly down her shoulders, making her seem more like a goddess.

  "Oh no, I am fine." Wanda wasn't fine. Astrilde sat calmly next to Wanda, yet Wanda was anything but calm. She could feel butterflies in her stomach, and she knew why. She knew why she was still staring at Astrilde, even after the Asgardian had turned to look at the city that never slept. So, she pushed it away, because it wasn't the time. It would never be the time.

~=~