Chapter 15

comment and vote <3

Soundtrack

Swans - Unkle Bob
'Cause I'm fake at the seams 
I'm lost in my dreams
And I want you to know
That I can't let you go
And you're never coming home again

***

While Thanksgiving offered a temporary reprieve from school, as soon as it's over I'm thrust into the hustle and bustle of my first college exam season. The next few weeks pass in cups of coffee and late night library study sessions as every waking moment is filled with textbooks and classes and studying.

By the time the last weekend before exam week rolls around I haven't seen Tyler in nearly two weeks, and I haven't seen Alice since she her appointment where the vet cleared her to ride. I'm mentally drained from constantly forcing my brain to absorb unreal quantities of information (as well as unhealthy amounts of caffeine.)

So when Ivy shows up Saturday morning and asks me if I want to take a break and go on a trail ride, I'm not sure if I have the energy to leave campus.

"Oh come on, Grace," she says. "It will do you good to get out of here for a few hours."

"I don't know," I reply. "I still need to review all of my Stat notes again and go over my sociology flashcards and-"

"Yeah, and it will all still be here when you get back," she teases.

"Ivy-"

"Girl, you have been studying for weeks. You are about as prepared as you can possibly be," she says bluntly. "But if you don't take a break, you're going to break your brain."

I roll my eyes. "You're a psych major, you should know that's not how that works."

    "Maybe not, but burnout is a thing," she shoots back. "Look it up."

    I set my pen down, looking up at her. "You're not going to let this go, are you?"

    "Nope," she says. "Now get dressed and meet me downstairs. Your horse misses you."

    Of course, Ivy is right.

    The moment I step out of the car upon arriving to the barn I'm hit with the familiar smell of wood and hay and horses, and instantly feel a wave of relief and contentment wash over me. This mood is intensified as Alice pokes her head out of her stall when I call to her, her ears flickering towards the sound of my voice.

    "I missed you, sweet girl," I say softly, scratching under her forelock.

    She begins to nuzzle my pockets, likely smelling the peppermints I stashed there for her. I willingly hand one over to her, unable to deny the spoiled mare anything.

    "See, I told you she missed you," Ivy laughs, holding a grooming tote in one arm and clutching Rhett's saddle against her hip with the other. "I'm gonna go get my boy ready."

    "I'm not far behind," I chuckle, unable to stop myself from grinning at her enthusiasm. In the few short months she's been leasing Rhett, she's already fallen head over heels for the gelding.

    And of course, who could blame her? He's an absolute dream to ride, and his docile personality makes him the perfect horse to just relax and mindlessly trail on. His only vice is his desperate fear of squirrels, but luckily they don't show up too often with us.