Chapter 13

comment and vote <3

Soundtrack

Light On - Maggie Rogers
Oh I couldn't stop it
Tried to figure it out
But everything kept moving
And the noise got too loud
With everyone around me saying,
"You should be so happy now"

***

"I can't believe you're not coming."

"I know, but it just doesn't make sense," I say, balancing the phone against my shoulder, "for us to drive all the way home today, only to turn around and come back on Friday."

"But it's Thanksgiving!" Tilly whines on the other end.

"I know," I reply. "And if Alice didn't have her follow up appointment with the vet on Friday, we'd be there."

"You don't have to be present at her appointment- I'm sure Christine would fill you in," Tilly argues, but her voice lacks seriousness.

"I know she would, but-" I pause, pondering my next words.

"Grace, I get it. You have to be there," Tilly says, filling the silence. "She's your horse."

"Well, technically she's your mom's horse," I take a seat on the edge of my bed, startling a sleeping Binx. The ever-growing kitten looks at me with sleepy eyes before drifting off again. "Legally, anyways."

"Oh, don't kid yourself. Alice is yours in every way that counts."

The line falls quit for a moment before I sigh, guilt filling me.

"I'm sorry, Tilly," I say softly. "She almost died and I- I can't leave her."

"Stop apologizing," she replies, shrugging me off. "If it were Amethyst, I'd do the exact same thing."

"For the record, I told Tyler he should just go without me."

She snorts. "As if my brother would leave you alone."

"Well, there's no point in both of us being stuck up here," I chuckle.  "But you're right, he won't leave me."

"Are you guys going to do anything for Thanksgiving?" she asks.

"Yeah actually," I say. "A couple of our friends aren't going to be able to make it home, so we're going to have a big dinner at Tyler's apartment. Ivy and Oscar are actually supposed to meet me any minute to go grocery shopping before we head over there."

"Who all is going to be there?" Tilly questions, a hint of caution in her voice.

"Well, Tyler and I obviously. Ivy and her boyfriend Oscar." I pause before adding, "Avery and Tessa, too."

Tilly snorts. "Sounds fun and not at all uncomfortable."

"It was pretty awkward being around them at first, I admit. But, strange as it may seem, we're all friends now," I respond, understanding her apprehension. "Anyways, enough about me. How are things at home? How was your show last weekend?"

Her tone instantly perks up. "It was awesome! Amethyst and I came in third this time!"

I smile to myself. Tilly usually only does show jumping, but decided to start competing in local cross country events over the summer. It's been a challenging switch for her, and up until this past weekend she hadn't placed yet.

"Tilly, that's amazing," I say. "I'm so proud of you! I wish I could have been there"

"Thanks," she says warmly. "Me, too."