Chapter 18

It's been a week since that sleepover. One of the longest nights in the history of the universe. Was longer than all my nights during Hell Week at boot camp combined. Every shift of the house, every shoe scuff of Khalid's foot woke me. Of course you have to be asleep to be woken. A lot has happened in the past week, but also nothing has happened.

Zendaya Coleman has dropped off the radar. She walked out of the hospital one night, had it out with Dinah, calling her a fake lesbian, then disappeared. When Khalid recounted the incident, I thought it was some stupid joke he was playing on me to get back from the week in the can. But then, Dinah's attitude change. I wasn't shadowing her at work anymore, I've passed that to Keith so I can keep my distance but I've noticed. She's sent about 50 texts messages to the missing doctor, but no reply. I've had Lauren look into her disappearance but even the computer genius can't find anything. The only people who vanish like that are the ones trying to hide from something. I'm going through employment records, trying to find anything about Zendaya's past history that I missed before my phone buzzes.

"How about we go out? Girls night.... You need to relax. – Ally"

"Thanks but, I don't feel like it. I just wish I had a night to myself. No monitors, no broken windows. Just a nice dinner, bottle of wine, and a movie. – D"

I had stopped reading the doctors personal messages but when Zendaya left, I had to start again. Zendaya may have finally answered her, or may have given Dinah some information that she didn't know could track her down. Reading this string of texts, my heart breaks a little.

You deserve at least that Dinah.

Then a light bulb turns on. Ditching background information, I go about planning something for the good doctor maybe it will help.

A few hours later, I am in the living room, pacing back and forth. This wouldn't be the first time I've seen the doctor since that night where her hands burnt through her clothes on my body and left their mark on my skin, but it's one of the few. When Dinah enters the house, I'm in the living room, wearing my standard FBI agent black suit with a light blue collared shirt. When she sees me, a smile breaks on her face and I mirror it but immediately pull my professional mask back on.

"Have a good night Dr. Hansen." Keith says, then exits the house.

Dinah bids the man good night then turns back to me, "So...Agent Hamilton. Am I under your watchful eye tonight?" She plays as she moves into the kitchen. Her eyes land on the expensive bottle of red wine I place in there, having picked it up for her earlier today.

"No, ma'am. Actually... you're not under any watch tonight." I say, watching her face for a reaction. She gives me a confused look. "It's been a month and there hasn't been any problems...well, any real problems..." We both let out a chuckle as we remember the baseball incident. "and I just thought you deserved a night off." I wait for her response, but she's speechless, so I continue "There are a couple of conditions though. First, you can't leave your home. The seconds..." I hand her an ugly necklace that has a piece of off-white plastic and a red button. "...you have to wear this."

"What is it?" She gives the item a once over.

"It's a signaling device. If you push that red button, a panic signal is sent to my phone. ...It's ugly, I know, but it works." Dinah slips it over her neck and it lands between the valley of her breasts, making me wish I was that ugly ass device.

"This is the only way I will know if you are in trouble, so...if you hear something, or something happens, don't be nervous about pressing it. I will be through that door and in this house in 5 seconds."

"But...there will still be someone out in the van, right? Watching me?" I can sense some angst in her voice.

"I've given my team the night off as well... I will be out in the van, but the surveillance equipment will be off. You will, truly, be alone for tonight." I start moving towards the front door.