Chapter 12

"She slipped my tail."

FUCK! I'm going to fucking kill that man. How hard is it to watch a woman from a distance? How can you loose someone like that? It's his fucking job!

As I run out my hotel room, I punch a button on my speed dial. It rings and rings, pick up Lauren. I pound on the door of Keith's room, and soon the man answers. Seeing me wound up, he quickly pulls on a pair of jeans and a shirt, dressed a lot like me. I have a pair of worn in jeans and a Marines t-shirt pulled over me. My gun clipped to my waist, and my badge in my pocket.

"This had better be good." Lauren answers.

"I need a 20 on Dinah. NOW." I say as Keith and I run to our car. The taping of keys can be heard in the background as Lauren works her magic. "Come on Jauregui, I need that location." I unlock the doors and throw myself into drivers' seat.

"I got it. The GPS on her cell has her at-"

"Send it to my phone, and Khalid's. Have him meet us there ASAP." I cut her off and hang up. Starting up the engine, my phone beeps with a text message of the address and I immediately put it on my GPS system. Peeling out of the quiet parking lot of the hotel, lights and sirens blaring, I head towards the bleep on the small screen.

"What happened?" Keith asks, hanging on for dear life as I do 60 down the sleepy streets of Chicago.

"She slipped Khalid's tail." I growl out, punching the steering wheel in frustration.

"Do you think-"

"I don't know." I answer, knowing he was going to ask if she has been taken by someone working for the drug lord that is now standing trial. The wet Chicago roads make taking corners slower, making my stomach clench more and more. Every second Dinah is out of our sights is another second she could be in danger..

"Fuck!" I growl as I reach a congested intersection. Slowly, I maneuver the undercover police car through the mess, sirens blaring and lights flashing. Hitting the street of the address, Keith flips off the sirens and we approach incognito. We pull up to the outside of the address Lauren sent us. Exiting the car, I pull my firearm out of its holster and approach the front door.

"Keith." I call.

"On your six, boss." He replies, following me.

We take a stance at either side of the door; I'm on the side with the door knob. I gently try it, seeing if the front door is unlocked. No such luck. The door has a checkered window pane in it. Using the butt of my gun, I knock out the small square of glass closest to the lock, reach in and undo the dead bolt. Turning the door knob, the door cracks open. I glance to Keith and he gives me a stiff nod.

Guns raised at the ready, we enter the dark, silent home. A quick sweep of the room and I see nothing out of the ordinary. I nod for Keith to take the left, and I head right. Moving through the entry way, into the living room, I still see nothing. Into the dining room, nothing. Kitchen, nothing.

"Clear." I hear Keith say softly.

"Clear." I respond. We move to the staircase. Guns raised, another look to Keith, another nod, I ascend the stairs slowly and silently. Moving along the hallway, we clear each room we pass. An office. A home gym. A guest room. Finally, we are positioned outside the last closed door. I put an ear to the wood. Sounds of a struggle. The hairs on the back of my neck stand on end. I step back, squarely in front of the door. A solid kick directed right next to the door knob makes the wood door swing open with force.

"FBI!" I yell, stepping into the room, my gun trained on the mass of moving flesh. What I see makes my stomach knot. Dinah's naked body hidden under the body of a man...also naked. ...Flores. Both of them stunned at the rude interruption. Dinah and I lock gazes. I can see shock, embarrassment, and guilt flash across her eyes. All I feel is pain and betrayal. Breaking contact, I look away, staring at the side wall of the room instead, trying with all my might to forget the image that was just burned into my corneas.