Chapter Thirty-Three

Vincent

V-day was about to end but I had not heard from Catherine.

I enjoyed watching the mob with Catherine on the screen when my phone rang. I could not stop from smiling and answered the call immediately thinking it was her.

Yes, I had decided and was looking forward to a life with Catherine but Alex was in trouble. I was so sorry if I was not able to tell Catherine about it. I panicked. I had to help Alex. It was my fault why she was under Muirfield's radar. If only my guilty conscience did not bother me, I would not have confronted Alex.

From one betrayal to another.

First, Alex asked a reporter to help expose Muirfield's wrongdoings and that person turned out dead. Now, she got Muirfield closer to me. Alex had no idea on what was going on. She did not really understand my situation. All she thought of was to have me cured and I could not blame her for that.

There was no explanation on why Catherine and I had this great and strong connection. Alex was wrong. Catherine was never selfish. She always put her family and friends first over herself and that was what she had done to me ever since she found me. Catherine had protected me even if she had to go out of her way. And besides JT, she accepted me for who I had become and that was why I trusted her. Although now, because of the mess I made, I understand that Catherine had to protect her heart.

See what I mean when I said that Catherine was not selfish at all?

She saved me again for the nth time. Even if I broke her heart, she was there for me. It could be about her work or because we were friends. Still, Catherine was there to protect me. We saved Alex, too from being deceived by Muirfield. We just had to go through critical situations just to find the answers. That was what I learned from living this kind of life.

I had known Alex half of my life and I believe she still had the good heart in her. We just needed to look deeper to understand everything.

It was never easy to let go of someone you love the most, especially someone you planned to spend your life with. But it would be more painful to hold on to a life that was lost ten years ago. Alex finally did let go.

Catherine came by the warehouse and provided Alex the things she needed to get out of the city and to stay away from my enemies. Catherine was the best friend anyone could ever ask for.

I watched Alex and Catherine get in the car.

Two women. The past and the present.

I wish I could still have Catherine in my future.

"Catherine, wait!" I sped up from upstairs to catch up with Catherine before they leave.

She got out from the car as I heavily said, "Hi."

Catherine said nothing. "Um… Can I see you later?"

"I'm not sure. I have to make sure Alex leaves safe and I have to drop by the precinct after."

Silence.

"We have to go." She said without looking at me.

I was out of words. Catherine went back in the car and drove off.

I still felt and saw the hesitation on her face but I would not give up on Catherine. Not now. I would do whatever it takes for her to forgive me.

So, I waited on her fire escape until she got home. It was cold and the window was close but I did not mind. It had been three hours though since they left the warehouse. I did not want to annoy Catherine so I did not follow her. I wondered what took her so long to come home.

What's next for me? I had no idea. I just wanted to see Catherine tonight and to thank her for taking care of everything then I would take it from there. It would not be bad to ask for a second chance, would it?

I must be so tired that I fell asleep and was awakened by footsteps and a familiar scent. She was home.

I suddenly felt... panicky. I guessed I no longer know how to approach Catherine. It felt like she was so fragile that I was afraid that I might break her... again.

So, I brought my wimpy ass to the rooftop when I heard Catherine came in her room. I bought some time thinking how to make my entrance and at the same time took deep breaths while practicing on what to say to her. "Hi. How are you?" would be good to start a conversation, right? How about "Are you okay?" Nah. I did not want to be ignorant. I knew she was not okay and she was tired.

I took a peek down below and my heart thud faster when the window opened and I saw Catherine looked out. I could not move. I was not sure on what to do. Should I go back on the fire escape and say "Hi. How are you?" Oh, man. I had never been this panicky before.

See? It took me a long time to decide on what to do and Catherine went back in and closed the window. Dammit.

I hurriedly went back to the fire escape but the lights were already out. I moved fast and tried Heather's room. Same thing. The window was close and the room was dark. One more way for me to get into her apartment was the windows in the living room. I moved faster from Heather's going to the living room and Catherine was about to close the windows as well. Was she really shutting me out for real? I had no plans in going home until I speak with Catherine.

I could not remember how I got in before she could lock the windows. Adrenaline, I guessed. I jumped as high as I could and just in time to stop Catherine from sliding down the window pane. However, I was short of distance and I found myself hanging on the window. It was fine. I was just five floors above the ground.

"Vincent, what the hell?!" Catherine said aloud and there was fear in her voice.

All I said was, "Hi." Damn. That was my favorite word these days. I realized I was holding on to the window sill when I said that.

"What do you think you are doing?" Catherine scolded me as she pulled me in.

"Well, I wanted to see you but seems like you are shutting doors and windows on me." I told her as I helped myself up.

Catherine suddenly burst into laughter. Her strange, funny laugh.

"What?"

"I'm sorry. I just recalled your face when you were hanging on the window sill."

"That was not funny. I could have died, Catherine."

"No, you won't. It's just five floors, anyway. You'll live."

Catherine moved away to the kitchen and gave me a what-do-you-want look. I started to walk towards her but she walked away from me.

"I came here to say thank you for everything, for saving me again."

Catherine just stared at me and said nothing.

"and I... wanted to ask for your forgiveness for the mess I made."

She looked down but said nothing.

"Can I ask for a second chance?"

Catherine looked up at me this time.

"Just like what you said before. Can we start over?"