Chapter Twenty-Five

Catherine

I thought he would never come back.

Oh! What a surprise. It had been what, almost two weeks since the last time he was here at my apartment. Forgive me for being sarcastic. I knew Vincent was a good friend. He came by to check on me from my injury. How nice of him. Seriously. No sarcasm there. But hey, at least he did.

On the other hand, I wanted to slap him for being gone for almost two weeks. No calls. No text. Was he that overwhelmed that he totally forgotten about me? Just like that, huh. I never called him or JT. What for? I knew he would be with Alex. I did not want to bother them with whatever they were doing.

Did I deserve his explanation from being gone? Nah. I should have expected it. I mean, he found a way to be with the love of his life again. So he made the most out of it. And she was not just some girl from the past. She was his fiancée. They planned a life together for years. To be specific, six years and an entire childhood. Beat that!

And why did he kept on insisting on "you and me" or "us" when there was no such thing as that. He could not even tell me what he was planning on to do with Alex. Were they going to start a new life? He should tell me something so I would know where I stand! He just could not show up here anytime. I mean, now that he had Alex back.

We did not know what we were. He had not told me anything. Should I tell him what I think we were? So, anything about him and Alex… it was none of my business.

I kept my temper in control for the last two weeks but today I was irritated and annoyed. I tried to understand the place he was into. Yes, I was scared of losing him. He had a record of making bad decisions. I was afraid he would make another one out of this.

Bad mood alert. I had to leave to see the shrink assigned to me. He/she might help me feel better and could calm me down.

I did not want to be a bitch. Who would want to? It was never my character. But according to my shrink, sometimes in life we need to be as such to get what we need and it can be off to a good start. Maybe he was right. Maybe that was what I needed to do. I could be a total bitch.

Okay. Okay. The session was to discussed the trauma I had been through during the shooting not my boyfriend issues. What? Boyfriend? I did not have one. I just thought the sooner I spill my heart out, the faster I could get out of here.

I was not spying on her. I followed up on something I saw. I knew Vincent would take this the other way around. Of course, he defended her. Duh.

I ran into Alex and I saw her stealing medicines and supplies from the hospital. So I checked our database and there were a bunch of thefts being reported at their ward and eventually someone else would find out about it.

I was trying to protect Alex and… him. He could believe me or not. I was just giving him a heads up on what could happen. I mean, Alex no longer knew anything about him anymore. Alex had no idea how careful she had to be with his secret.

I wanted to scream at the top of my lungs. This was just too much. Too much! How could he be so stupid?!

You know, I could have enjoyed the party with Tess. It was work but at least there were free drinks. Some margaritas could help me calm my nerves.

I should have not answered his call. But how could I not when a friend is in need.

Of course he could not tell them his name. If he did, then what? They were going to look him up and as soon as they found out that his name belonged to someone who was supposed to be dead, it would be a bigger problem. And let us not forget, Muirfield will be alerted and who knew they would take him and kill him for real. And what would Alex do? Nothing! Because she had no idea what was going on!

But I did and I had to lie to a police officer to cover them up. Yes, I saved his ass. I was there to the rescue. Could he not see it? Because of Alex not knowing anything about who he had become, they made stupid things that JT and I had to protect them from. Breaking in to an ice rink to have their moment? How stupid was that?!

Was I overreacting?

No, I was trying to protect him just like from the beginning. I did not know what plans Alex had promised him that made him act like a teenager but he had to stop and figure out what he wanted. If he wanted his old life back with her, fine. Go ahead. Tell me. In that way, I could reconsider the risk that I had taken to protect him.

If only I could shoot him.

I would like to shoot Vincent. Really. Maybe on the leg part. He had a crazy DNA, anyway. I knew he would heal fast.

I went to the firing range. I tried to imagine I was shooting Vincent.

My night was already damaged by some handsome mutating beast and now a handsome shrink had to continue the destruction.

So what if I took comfort from my work to avoid my personal emotions? Was that wrong? I was committed to my job and I was good at it. What should I do better? Confined myself to my room for what three days? I needed to work and so I work.

I was not suffering from PTSD from just one gun shot. A real definition of post-traumatic stress was watching the only person who cared about me leave my life with no valid reasons. Who did not appreciate the things I did to protect him. He preferred to be with someone who no longer knew him anymore.

I could not believe I was that hysterical. Everything was just a mess. I had never been like this. I had kept my heart locked out for so long. Now that I had put this heart out, shit happens. Relationships were pain in the ass. Vincent was such an ass.

Maybe it was my fault, too. I had not told him exactly how I felt. That I love him. I just thought it was pretty obvious.

I had to take actions. Alex would never going to know him the way I did. Okay. I would take my chances.

So this was what I got from being honest. I just embarrassed myself.

I followed the shrink's advice to tell Vincent exactly what I wanted.

I wanted to be with Vincent. But I guessed it was too late.

He thought he could be the normal Vincent Keller again. The doctor… the normal guy. I could not blame him. He waited for so long for this opportunity and he found that with Alex who was willing to give up her life to go with him. Away somewhere he could be free.

One thing though. Would Alex still be willing to give everything up if she knew the truth about who Vincent really was? Would she accept him like I did? I hate to compare but I was not sure about Alex.

All I knew right now was… I gave up.