Chapter Thirty-Two

Catherine

Vincent Keller was not the only one who wanted a peaceful life. I did, too. That was what I was trying to accomplish. Clean up the mess and shut the door.

As much as I wanted to forget everything between me and Vincent and everybody connected to him, I had to look after Alex. She was innocent. I mean, what she found out in the woods was just a fraction of the complexity of Vincent's current life. She knew what they did to him but might not understand.

So, I paid her a visit. I tried my best to explain the danger we were into that I had to take her credit cards and gave her cash instead. I had to give her a fake ID and had her move out of her apartment and check in to a hotel. I had to protect Alex and... him.

It still boiled down to him, huh? Pfft.

I knew it had been a while. I was not avoiding him, okay? Well… a little. I was badly hurt. I needed time to heal and wanted to be alone and to think and digest all the things that had taken place. It felt like everything happened so fast. But I felt better now. See? Avoidance would always be my favorite technique.

Just like now. I was sitting on my window sill looking out the night city of New York. I loved the cool breeze brushing against my skin that somehow relieved the stress from work and some personal shit.

Yep. He was not with me. I had not felt his presence for a couple of days. I wondered why. Maybe he had given up on me. Yeah. I admit. I missed him. It had been what… a month? Oh, well. Maybe it would be better this way. It was just difficult since he was already IN my life.

The city lights amused me. Funny but I noticed two yellow lights across my apartment and I thought of Vincent. I smiled. Maybe those were just refractions of lights. I took a deep breath and went inside but I looked back. I felt eyes looking at me. I brushed off the idea. Paranoid, yeah?

I woke up early today and I wondered why my window was open. Maybe I forgot to lock it last night. Right, I forgot. I no longer had visitors anyway so let us leave it that way.

He was here.

… and left me a note. Just like before. I was aware it was so high school but I actually found it cute. Hahaha. The most common notes he left me before were "fire escape" or "roof". This time it was the second one.

Should I give in this time? I mean, we could be friends again, right? Friends.

My decision-making was interrupted when my sister suddenly barged into my room talking about her Valentine's Day plans. I could not even remember the last time I celebrated the occasion. Wait. My sister was single but she had V-day plans? Wow.

And as for me, I did not have any plans at all but to work and stay away from people who hurt me. I took the note from my pocket and stared at it for a while. I think we could be friends again.

I did not smile nor had any reactions when I saw him waiting for me on the rooftop. I remembered I said we could be friends again but the pain still dominated my heart.

I got an invitation for Valentine's Day.

Seriously? Dinner? V-day plans? I assumed he was trying his best to patch things up but flashbacks of his moments with Alex still bothered me and cold treatment took control.

Sorry but I did not feel like celebrating the day.

This guy was really persistent to make peace with me.

What did he want me to do? Forgive and forget? Bury the hatchet? I never hold any grudges but it was not that easy, you know.

And what was up with the flowers? Cut flowers to be specific. What could cut flowers mean with loving and trusting someone? He really sucked at this. I preferred white over red roses.

Again, sorry but I did not feel like celebrating the day with two dozen cut flowers of red roses.

I tried my best to protect Alex but which part did she not understand?

As much as I wanted to convince myself that what she did was to help Vincent but only to put them in danger. We had no idea how or who can put Muirfield down. Not even a reporter.

Alex tried to ask help from her reporter friend to maybe tell the world what they did to Vincent but he only ended up dead. See? How inhumane these people were? They would kill to cover up their mistakes.

And Alex was nowhere to be found. I could no longer contact the burner phone I gave her. I did not know which hotel she was in. Oh, man. When could I get out from this Alex arc?

I felt strange when I parked my car near the warehouse. Maybe because it had been a while since the last time I was here. Well, I was not visiting. I was doing my job.

Two things why I went to the warehouse; to tell Vincent what Alex did and to stop doing whatever he was trying to do to rekindle our friendship. Friendship? Okay, whatever we had. I had no time for that at the moment. I had to work. I had to find Alex. Alone or else Vincent would never have my trust back.

Vincent really sucked at this.

But he was constant today, huh? The gifts were thoughtful and I really appreciate it. But the chocolates… Tsk. Tsk. Tess was right. He did not know my favorites. That was not a good sign.

Dinner. Flowers. Chocolates. That would complete Valentine's Day, right? But a flash mob, balloons and hearts… Was there a better word for overwhelming?