The Tale of Them

Football. Late nights under parking lot lights. 

A poke to her side. She chases as he tries to hide.

Until she catches on to the meaning behind. And asks the question that weighs on her mind.

Sheepishly he nods, then later asks her out. In an awkward way, but that's what middle school love is all about.

They sit together at their first competition. Though due to the rules PDA they shun.

It's fun, and light. To her, they seem to take flight.

For once in her tumultuous life, things are okay. But then, they aren't one day. 

They break up. Then in the spring, they make up.

Then he lies. And for stupid reasons they break up... again. But she knows she won't go back to calling him a boyfriend. 

Later on in the year, she feels good. She's done some things she never thought she would.

But he is still thinking of her. He regrets it now. He wants to try again, but she doesn't know how.

Or why he would want to try again. And again. And again.

She says no. Multiple times she turns him down. And every time they both go to sleep with a frown.

Eventually, he stops.  With a sharp little pin, the tension, she pops. 

They agree to be friends, just friends this time. Though they don't talk much, there's a peace of mind.

For her at least. It came as a relief.

Finally, he understands, she thinks. Unfortunately, later on, she misses the links.

During one conversation, he asks her about their time as a couple. She brushes off the urge to take not once but double. 

The very next day her friend comes up with some news. She heard from a guy who's friends with her ex, that her ex is trying to get her again, and that he thinks this time he won't lose.

Which is simply not true. Now the girl in this tale knows her self quite well. And she is sure that her ex she can quell. 

So she grabs her ax, slightly dented from use. She walks out to the bridge and stretches herself loose.

But before she can get in even a single swing. Uncertainty creeps in with a familiar ring.

She can see him there on the other side. But she doesn't know if he can see her so the ax falls at her side.

She knows he doesn't know that she knows he wants her back. And she doesn't know if the right course of action is a straight up attack.

So she sits at the place where the bridge meets the land. The little stream of water begins to roar as if on command.

She is lost in her mind before she can try and breathe. And as the time passes her chest starts to heave. 

What to do? What to do?! She thinks to herself in a new shade of blue.

If she brings it up he will give her the look of a kicked little pup.

If she stays quiet she'll be paranoid but eventually, there will be another red flag and she can let him see.

She's unsure still though. Grabbing the ax and avoiding the foe, she slowly meanders her way back home

Between the sheets, safe as can be. She wonders if it was wrong to flee.

As the candle gutters out, and her room goes black. She wonders if this time he'll have any bone in his back.

She thinks she will wonder throughout the night. But soon her dreams steal her up and take flight.

She dreams of football games. And late nights under parking lot lights.

But not of him. No, she dreams of fun with her friends instead.