"And why should I help either of you, when that douche of an ex will shoot me on sight before I even…"

His cell phone rang, cutting him off.

"Give me a second." ignoring Chanel's impatient look, Billion strolled over to the rail to receive the call.

"Hey, you."

He beamed at the usual jolly greeting. Even when she was miles away, her soft-spoken voice was still his tranquilizer.

"Please don't tell me my gift was rejected."

"On the contrary …thank you for the beautiful birthday gift."

A gentle smile touched his lips. "Pleasure is all mine, Queen… phew, for a moment there I thought I'd have to fire Cooper."

"Stop scaring the poor guy."

Billion couldn't help but chuckle at her defense. Moments like this was what he yearned for, and what he would give, just to be back in Manhattan.

In anxiousness, Billion put forth the question he had been dreading. "so, earlier, you wanted to tell me something right?"

Undeniably turned-off by the display of affection going on right under her nose, Chanel scoffed and made to leave the balcony.

"Yeah. Well, today Natalia and I went to the-"

Billion was all ears as Emery spoke until a heavy thud from behind, had him whirling around. And there was Chanel sprawled on the ground.

"Is everything alright?"

Emery's question was not picked up since Billion had pulled the phone out of earshot.

As hushed as possible, he said, "What the hell is wrong with you?"

"It's your damn coffee table," Chanel snapped. Picking herself up, she stormed out of the balcony.

"Um, we can talk later if you are busy."

Called back to the moment, Billion quickly said, "No, no I'm really sorry about that…"

Her sharp intake of breath came from the other end before she spoke again. "Just tell me this… and please be honest with me, Billion… who are you with?"

What? What the hell is she thinking?

But from the change in her tone, Billion presumed Emery had heard his exchange with Chanel. In cold sweat, he raked his fingers through his hair over and over again.

"Em, please don't get any ideas… Chanel is only here because her…"

"You know what, Dekker? Let's talk when you're alone and less busy."

Damn this.

"Em, you've got this wrong…" to Billion's uttermost surprise, she hung up on him.

"Dammit, woman. We are too old to be playing this game."

But knowing it was up to him to clear her doubt, Billion quickly called her back. His call went through but was sent to voice mail. He tried numerous times to get in touch with Emery but all his attempts were fruitless. Begrudgingly, he sent her a voice note.

"Whatever you think is going on between Chanel and me, you've got it wrong. I could never do that to you, Em. The Preston's are only here with my mom on a visit. Please call me when you get this."

                                     · · • • • ✤ • • • · · 

If Emery had thought putting on platform heels would give her free reign, then she had clearly undermined her role as the honoree. Almost all of her well-wishers wanted to take a picture with her, but after minutes of unceasing snaps, her legs run out of strength.