Can science explain what life means?

As someone who understands life and the world from two opposing perspectives (I studied science and philosophy), I have an open mind and think about this concept in great detail, even with some contradictory opinions. From a scientific point of view, life is a function, everything in existence has some life form, but some objects seem like they are living more than others, which is plausible but also ignorant. Humans and animals are living differently because of the functions they have been created with, for example, humans can think intellectually like about how I am trying to understand the meaning of life, and animals for example, still have thoughts but not the depth that humans are gifted with. Similarly, plants have a function of photosynthesis which suggests they are 'living', whilst humans cannot photosynthesise but instead are made to breathe with lungs, digest food with a stomach and think with a brain. On the surface, it looks as though all of these objects are living more than others, obviously the human is somewhat living more than a pig, and a pig is living more than a plant, which is a well-reasoned argument to make. However, this is also an ignorant opinion, because even objects besides plants, animals and humans are living, but it is not that they arent living, it is that their functions they were designed with is restricting the amount of living they do. Equally, it can be argued that a plant is just as intelligent as a human, a plant can photosynthesis without a brain, it can 'digest' nutrients without a stomach and even breathe without lungs- how incredible is that. Therefore, everything around us is life, even the planets that do not have 'human life' or organic matter are living because they have a function, a purpose, they were created for a reason but just because we may never know the reason behind the existence of every object does not mean it isnt living.