63 - The Secrets In A Dance - Part 1

Start from the beginning

—-*—-

It didn't take me many moments to spot out beloved heroine. She was already surrounded by the young men she would eventually end up with. As uncomfortable as I was with this confrontation, I had to take it. I'd find the source of malice during the dancing.

"Miss Claire," I speak softly as I approach. Of course Gil is looking excited next to her. They were probably talking about something cute. Even Alstair appears to be in a good mood. Lionel... wait... why are you looking so sour?

I nearly get distracted at the grouchy Lionel, and just barely manage to focus my attention back on Claire. I don't have high hopes for this though.

"I've seen you a few times with Helena Fox, is she an acquaintance of yours?"

I start out carefully, but Claire smiles cheerfully.

Now, while I am saying this, the few noble girls from the commerce class arrive, and they all scurry to their little friends, and in about five minutes this event is going to be all over the place.

"Yes, she is a friend of mine. She helps me out a lot, and she is very kind."

She appears to be heading towards a tirade of praise, so I gently lift a hand with a slightly more serious attitude.

"I see. Then, I am sorry to inform you of this, but Helena Fox repeatedly insulted the entirety of nobility. During my attempts to remind her of her manners she even called me a monster. As she is currently refusing to apologize and ask for forgiveness, I will not interact with her any further. I believe you should be careful around that woman, Claire, her words may be attractive, but she considers not the consequences to fulfill her dreams... especially not its cost in blood."

I finish. Is there anything else I want to say? No, I think this is all that should be said.

And their reactions? The Heroine, shock. Alst-

"W-What did you do?!"

Jesmaine suddenly interfered in the scene with a look of anger.

"Helena would never bully anyone like that! You're turning this in your own favor!"

Are you kidding me?

I have to deal with this one too?

I narrow my eyes at her softly and cross my arms in irritation. I had already reached my boiling point before.

"Who said she bullied anyone, Lady Jesmaine? If anything she humiliated herself by insulting nobility, repeatedly. Even claiming commoners and nobles are equals despite their rank."

A moment of silence spread.

"You caused this didn't you? You tricked her into saying it was a good idea!" Jesmaine had become teary eyed and started casting baseless excuses at me.

"You bully!"

She was far from as confident as Helena...

"So first I am a monster and now I am a bully? Helena Fox is the one that got angry when I told her that her proposal was unrealistic and not thought through, and made solid arguments against it."

Jesmaine glanced to the Heroine and the guys behind our so beloved heroine.

Our beloved Heroine is teary and confused how this too ended up as an argument, while William was looking at me like a villain. Gil wore his usual poker mask, Soleil acting like it was beneath him... Lionel refusing to look at me and finally Alstair who was watching with apparent interest... watching both our drama and Lionel's odd behavior...

Still, every moment that passed was spreading this further. The room had turned to whispers as all eyes locked on us... but no hint of malice.

"I... I will make her apologize..."

Unexpectedly our beloved Heroine understood the situation and chose the right action to keep peace between Helena and the nobles. Then Gil finally reacted.

"Lily-Chan. What was the proposal?"

...

"A tax reform."

...

More awkward silence.

"Why were you discussing such an advanced subject?" Gil continued without hesitation.

"She brought it up on her own."

"Even though she is a commoner that has no influence on those things?"

... Gil... are you... interrogating me? This was unusual for Gil... but... I glanced to Claire.

"Doesn't she?"

My point was easy to see. Claire was a light mage, she would likely end up with high rank no matter what.

... Claire understood my words as well, and this time she went pallid.

As for Jesmaine... she now looked like a lost and terrified lamb, unsure what side to take. Jesmaine should have been terrified and taken her distance from Helena... when did those two become so close?

Our dancing teachers enter the room, but the tension still lingers.

"Attention!" The teacher calls out into the hall and finally break up the situation. I'm not sure if it is okay to leave it like this, but I do not want to pressure the sobbing child like girls any further either... I can only be relieved that Claire seems to understand the difference in rank, and the consequences for trying to break it.

—-*—-

As nobles we have all been forced to practice dancing. This does, however, not mean that everyone is good at it. The advanced class thus perfects the basics for those weak in them, and further enhances the beauty of those who have it down. The basic class touches upon basic regiments, teaching basic forms, steps, balance, postures... something we as nobles should've been drilled in multiple times.

In the novel, Claire was a bad dancer. She knew the basics, but was always so nervous she ended up tripping. She was meant to display this as well du-

"Kyah!"

-During the dance lesson.

It was as if on cue... just... it wasn't Claire... it was one of the foreign girls from the south. She went all teary eyed and apologized many times to her partner. She's ended up tripping him by accident, and he'd let her fall flat. It was ungentlemanly... and exactly as it had been in the book...

I glance to Claire who is dancing with Soleil, who should have been the one standing near the accident to mock the Heroine for her lack of skills...

Soleil was calm, Claire wasn't nervous and someone else had fallen instead. Alstair looked at the foreigner for a moment before Lionel slipped between the two and took the role of showing the foreigner how to dance...

The orders of the first dance was messed up... and I was being used as a teaching example instead of being swung around by Lionel to keep me from Alstair...