"And you are?" I asked her.

She smiled, looking up at a very guilty looking Mason. "I think my Mason would be glad to answer that question, answer her Mason." She grinned up at him, showing her perfectly set and white teeth.

"Mason?" My gaze shifted back to him, awaiting his reply... Which I'm pretty sure I would not like, very much.

"Becca, she's Kendra, my- my fiancee." He finally let out.

Swallowing the lump in my throat, I caught Kendra wiggling her fingers so I could see the ring on it, my mouth suddenly went dry, and I think that was because my heart was no longer in its right position, it had fallen low to the pit of my stomach, contacting with each rib as it fell.

"We're engaged." Kendra beamed.

Looking up at Mason, I decided to speak up... "Your fiancee? But- I don't understand- there has to be an explanation, right?" I asked him, making sure to keep my voice at a normal level.

"My parents, they wanted to take the business to the next level, it came with this," he motioned towards Kendra who didn't look fazed by the tone he used on her, she was busy studying me in hopes to get a reaction. "I knew about it few weeks before you travelled down here. I'm really sorry Becca."

"Why didn't you tell me anything?" I asked, surprisingly cool with everything, and that was really weird, because I love Mason right? I should be angry and all up in tears, but no I wasn't, even though the feeling wasn't something I liked, it was containable.

"I didn't want to break your heart Becca, I thought I could get myself out of it- but I don't think that's possible."

"Were you ever planning on telling me?" I asked him.

"Of course, I tried to call you a thousand times when you left New York, but I couldn't reach you, your mom couldn't reach you either."

I exhaled, feeling my breathing go abnormal. "Is that why you're here?"

"Part of it... Kendra wanted to invite some of her friends for the wedding, I only agreed to come with, hoping to see you here." He said, looking really sincere with everything that came out of his mouth.

"Now that you've seen her, can we go? My friends are waiting." Kendra grunted.

Ignoring her, Mason turned to me. "I really am sorry Becca, I wish there was something I could do... I never meant to hurt you like this."

I managed a smile, trying to keep my cheerful character in check. "It's okay, I'm totally okay with it- very, very okay... You don't have to worry at all... Really, why wouldn't I be okay with it," I gave a nervous laughing sound after each sentence. "When is the wedding?"

"A week from now." Kendra chirped.

I couldn't help but let my eyes go wide. "A week? Like, a week from now?"

"Yes." Mason answered.

"Wow, that's- that's awesome- no sorry uh-" another nervous chuckle. " It's fast, great... Um, uh- congratulations, I guess..."

Breath in, breath out.

"Anyway, I'll be glad to have you at the wedding." Kendra grinned.

"Oh, I'd love to come too, it's just, I'm pretty caught up with something right now...More like held down with something- but I would have love to come. For real." I said, sounding almost too happy.

"Are you sure you're okay with it?"

"Of course, go ahead... Do your thing, it's- it's totally fine by me." I smiled, trying so hard to make it reach my eyes.

"Alright then... Mason come on, my friends are waiting." Kendra pulled at his arm.

Mason gave me a look.

"Go on... Don't keep her friends waiting- it's not really nice to keep people waiting..."

With a small nod and a sympathetic look, Mason and Kendra walked away from me. Shutting my eyes briefly, I made my way back to Emeliano's direction.

"Come on," I said, walking pass him to the direction of his car... "I'm no longer up for a drive, take me back to prison." I muttered without sparing him a second glance.

__
Vote and Comment:-)

Scroll on to the next chapter!

See you there!