One

Population 1800
Lockwynne
Hazel Michelson

Autumn days fall by as fast as the leaves from the trees

Autumn days fall by as fast as the leaves from the trees. The sun rises and sets as if it's on fast-forward, as if there is some divine hurry to reach the winter. Though the sun is still bright, still brilliant in the sky, it is cooler even on the days that lack cloud. Soon every bough will be only brown and the gay colours they brought us will dim to a fading memory. As I sat by my window taking in the fresh air the season had to offer I tried my best to find the motivation I lacked thereof to write.

Writing gave me a peace of mind as it allowed me to explore my mind and brought out the creativeness I sometimes didn't even know I had. I loved when the ink from my pen flowed onto the paper capturing every feeling or emotion I bottled in, this gave me an instant relief.

I started writing after my parents divorce, my mom had left town with another woman to start a new life while my dad was left heartbroken even though he hid it well. I can only imagine how unhappy she was all this time pretending to be someone she's not, I was hurt at first and confused; that wasn't any easier for me to handle when the news started to get around.

I couldn't go anywhere without receiving pitiful eyes and even looks of disgust came my way, mostly from the ones who were only Christians on Sundays.

Sometimes I wanted to run off too and explore the world outside of Lockwynne just to see if it would live up to my imagination. Nothing ever happens in this town well nothing fascinating at least. There wasn't much to do, apart from going to the bowling alley, skating rink, going for a swim by hollow lake, picnic by mablecrest meadows, seeing a movie at the theatre, grabbing a bite at Pete's diner or maybe the parties that kept every now and then... nothing. It might seem like a lot at first but after awhile it becomes repetitive and boring.

"El, your little friend is here" I heard dad announced. The annoyance was strong through the pronunciation of the word friend, I knew exactly who it was.

I got to my feet, checking my hair before opening the door to meet Cole, my dad wasn't a huge fan of his since he accidentally broke my arm in the 7th grade while playing.