The scent of love

Sweden could hear his heart pounding, as he stared at the note attached to the bouquet. "For Finland" He read it again. How could he have been so blind? Sweden had never actually considered the fact that there might be someone else out there who liked Finland as well. "What am I going to do?" The big nordic nation said out loud. Slowly he decided to place the bouquet back to where it had been laying a few moments ago, because he absolutely did not want Estonia to find out that he had found it.

As he stood back up, he heard a door open behind him. "Oh, hi Sweden. Wow! You packed for me! Thanks!" A voice he soon recognized to be Estonias said in a suprised tone. Sweden turned around to face the smaller country, and replied. "No problem"

"We should get going, we're gonna be there in about five minutes" Estonia requested, picking up his bags from the corner of the room. "Yeah sure" The taller man replied, and grabbed his own luggage. With his free hand he opened the huts door, and got out to the hallway. "I'll come soon, you can go already! I have something I need to check" Estonia told Sweden, moving his left foot nervously. Sweden just nodded, and even though the smaller nation didn't tell him what he was going to do in the hut, he already knew the answer. He's going to check did I see the bouquet. I hope I placed it correctly! Sweden tought as he walked to the cafeteria of the big ship.

There were many countries in summer outfits and sunglasses, carrying their bags, all waiting for the ship to arrive to the paradise island. Everyone seemed very excited. So exited that no-one really noticed Swedens entrance, expect one person. That one person that made everything feel special, and brought happiness to Swedens life with just simply existing. Finland was waving with a cute smile on his face, and motioning Sweden to come over. The tallest nordic waved back and started walking towards his direction.

"Hey Su-san, I see you've packed! The island looks so beautiful, doesn't it?" Finland stated, looking at Sweden with his amethyst eyes. Sweden could feel his cheeks heat up, and silently hoped that they wouldn't change color. "Yeah, it does" He replied, enjoying how happy the smaller man seemed. "I and all the others are really thankful for this, you know? You didn't have to take us to such an expensive place!" Finland continued, and his expression changed in a way that Sweden couldn't read. "It's no problem" The swede said, with his usual dull expression on his face. He actually felt very happy, but his face just didn't show extreme emotion. Or emotion at all, most of the time. He didn't know the reason for that, but he guessed that it was his genes.

"Alright everyone, we're docked! You can head out to the island now!" The speaker on the wall yelled. "Heck yeah!" A tall, obnoxiously loud blonde man shouted, even louder than the machine. Denmark. Soon a shorter man with dark grayish purple eyes, who Sweden recognized to be Norway, nudged him in the right arm as a sign to be quiet. "Let's go!" Finland proposed, and joined the line of countries that were exiting the ship, with Sweden following soon after.

Soon everybody was standing at the dock, staring at the island totally entranced. There was a wide path ahead to the resort area, and another one leading straight to the beach. A guide motioned everyone to keep walking straight ahead to go find their house they'd be staying at. As the countries followed the path, Sweden soon noticed that Finland wasn't walking right next to him anymore. The shortest nordic was nowhere to be seen, he wasn't walking with the crowd either.

Sweden started to worry, but soon he found his friend. Finland was standing a few meters back, staring at the greenery all around him, eyes sparkling like the most beautiful jewels in the world. His mouth was wide open from happy shock, as he looked up to the blue sky. Soon the small nation noticed that Sweden was there, and walked up to him with bouncy steps.

"This. Is. Amazing!" He half shouted, and looked at Sweden with the widest smile on his face. "I'm glad you like it" Sweden replied, as his heart started beating faster and faster. This time he was certainly blushing. "These plants, the ocean, the sky.. And this scent!" Finland continued, his hair waving slightly in the warm wind.

"This scent?" Sweden wondered out loud. "Yeah, this scent! Do you smell it too?" Finland asked, blinking a few times, waiting for an answer from his friend. Sweden breathed in deeply with his nose, and something inside him twisted. There was indeed something very special about this scent, but he couldn't make out what it was. "Mm, I don't know what it is though" The tall man replied, trying to think what the smell of the air might remind him of.

"W-well, this might sound kind of weird.. but.." Finland started, looking down at his feet, and his bangs covering his eyes. "I think it smells like love here" He finished the sentence. Swedens heart turned upside down with Finland brining up the word love. After a moment of shock, he smelt the air again. In some magical, happy, but also wistful way it actually did smell of love.

The scent of love. Never thought I'd smell that in my life.

The thought of it brought a rare smile on Swedens face, and for the first time, he felt a spark of confidence light up inside him. He was going to confess to Finland on this island.