Chapter 35: The Great Army

Începe de la început

Reflamen landed about two kilometres from the army, and lay low using his colours to blend in with the landscape. I summoned my swords as an afterthought, just in case I did get attacked by one of the lightning gods.

There were creatures of all different sorts in the army, many that I had seen before.  Some I hadn’t like this strange snake like creature with spikes covering its body, it reminded me a bit of what Reflamen now looked like. I wasn’t surprised to see that most of the creatures were from either Greek or Norse mythology, like the few hundred hydras I saw plodding through the army, their eight heads snapping. I was beginning to hate them.

Another thing that surprise me was the amount of air soldiers were in the army. It was just a huge black swarm that destroyed any light that tried to shine to the army below. The only light I could see past the army was the huge blue glow in the middle of it all. I presumed it was the lighting creating this army.

The thing I found most confusing is the fact that the army wasn’t moving, and when they did it was more moving to make room for there ever increasing number.

‘Maybe Zeus doesn’t want to loose his advantage, and maybe once his army grows big enough then he won’t have to worry if he’ll loose or not,’ said Reflamen.

‘Maybe,’ I replied, ‘But he could just continuously march this army forwards and not worry about the loses. He has a never ending army.’

‘Maybe he doesn’t want you to use that cake trick again,’ snorted Reflamen, humour evident in his mind.

‘I’m not gonna’ live that down am I,’ I asked him with a raised eyebrow.

‘Never,’ he grinned.

We watched the army for a few more minutes, judging how quickly the army was increasing, and trying to figure out a way to counter it.

‘That creating my own army thing isn’t going to work is it?’ I asked.

‘It will, we just need to create something that creates stuff, then we won’t be imagining,’ he replied.

I could literally feel his mind working out all the potential ideas that could work against this army.

‘Let’s go,’ I said, seeing there was nothing more to be gained laying her watching.

He nodded his big head and slowly got up from where he was laying. I got up and brushed myself off before jumping onto his back. He opened his wings and started to fly into the air.

As soon as he did my sword reacted to something and they shot back, blocking a lightning strike. Reflamen spun around looking at the source. There was Zeus, of course, hovering in the air about ten metres away. Reflamen’s guttural growl broke the tension in the air as we stared at each other.

“Good to see you here Derrick,” said Zeus with a smile on his face, “I was wondering when you would come.”