Pawns

TRIGGER WARNING:THIS CHAPTER INCLUDES DETAILS OF DEATH THAT MAY BE DISTURBING TO SOME!

Friday, June 22, 2018

12:45p.m.

"Cézar, I know we've had this argument time and time again.  It's getting old.  We're starting to sound like a broken record."  Corrine said, adjusting her black shades before turning the steering wheel.  The sun's rays burned the skin on her neck through the raised window of her platinum 2018 Mercedes-Benz.  Her birthday gift from Bleu.  

"Then stop making me repeat myself!" His voice boomed through the speakers.  Unaffected, Corrine sighed before turning the volume down.

"As long as you continue barking orders at me like I'm one of your little workers, I will continue to disregard what it is you say."  She stated nonchalantly as she pulled to a stop light.  Her lips curved into a small smile as she watched a mother walk her daughter across the street.  They wore matching pink dresses, which she usually found corny but on them she found it adorable.  If anything, watching them filled her with even more excitement to see Julius again.

"You just don't seem to be grasping how imperative it is that you keep someone with you any time I'm not around.  Like today, you could've at least taken Cid with you instead of driving off by yourself."  She rolled her eyes as though he were right there with her.

"I very much understand my position and why you feel like I need to be on guard 25/8, mi amor.  Had we not promised Cid this day to himself I would have brought him along, especially if it would keep me from hearing this speech over and over."  Corrine stole a glance at the clock on the radio.  She had a little time to spare so she decided to make a quick stop at the next corner store before her destination.  

The traffic light turned green, she pressed her foot on the accelerator before flipping on her right blinker.  "Look, if it'll ease your anxiety, I'll head straight home after I leave my mama's house."  Just as was about to turn into the parking lot, the money green sedan ahead of her made an unexpected turn into the lot as well, causing her to hit her brakes abruptly.  She swore under her breath.

"Is everything alright, bella?"  He didn't miss a beat.

"Yeah, some dumbass forgot the purpose of a blinker that's all."

"Get home soon, bella.  It may just seem like a simple trip to your mother's, but there's been some whispers in the streets about me being a target.  Shit might be getting hot for me soon, that's why you need to be on your shit, too.  I gotta go.  I'm about to touch down soon.  I'll be back later tonight."

"We'll be waiting for you."  Corrine sang before hanging up.  Pulling into the next available parking space, she put the vehicle in park and cut the engine.

Corrine knew full and well that Bleu had every valid reason to be as paranoid as he is.  Hell deep down she was, too.  However, living her life in fear or losing the freedom she had wasn't what she signed up for.  Being controlled wasn't what she signed up for.  That's why she made the choice to not call Cid just for a trip to her mom's.  

It'd been a while since she'd had this much roam time so she leaped at the opportunity.  It was one of those summer days that brought back the nostalgia of childhood.  The sky was blue and cloudless as the sun shone brightly giving everything a new beauty.  It reminded her of when she was a little girl.  Every summer cookout she and her cousins would run up and down the neighborhood.  Joy spread abundantly through the innocence of childhood.  

Every now and then the adults would let them go to a corner store, only as a group, with a couple dollars each for cans of soda or bottles of juice or any other little treats.  This heat permitted her the excuse of having to make an extra stop for a cold, tall can of Arizona Tea.  As she stood in front of the refrigerator deciding which flavor to get, a refrigerator door opened next to her.  She looked over out of reflex, locking eyes with sly, dark eyes belonging to one of the most handsome faces she'd seen in a while.