Chapter 4: At Sea Accusations

Začít od začátku

"Beautiful night to go sailing." The old woman said, breathing deep the salty sea air.

"I will never not enjoy the cool breeze of a summer's night at sea." Peter agreed.

"Now why would a strapping lad such as yourself need to flee Maridel? Surely hard times haven't come for one so young. Or are you another despicable fiend fleeing from the law?"

"Nothing of that sort, no." Peter chuckled, "I'm taking my friend back home is all." He pointed over his shoulder.

The woman looked to find a hooded girl sitting with the young kids on deck. She was leading them in a children's game of quick reactions. Around the circle they went, each attempting to slap the hand of the child on their left while also avoiding the incoming slap from their right. Several ripples ran through the circle as each child was eager to get a hit in. Fi was making quick work of her target, always striking with precision while also managing to dodge her attacker. The young boy beside Fi recoiled, his hand in pain, as the rest burst into fits of glee. He was on the verge of tears when Fi hopped up to change her place in the circle; to his relief and the dismay of her new partners.

"Such a lovely lass. So you're Peronans then?" She asked. At Peter's nod, she pressed, "What is it like?"

"You've never been?"

"I've spent my sixty-five years on this earth in my humble town of Lorent. Only twice did I travel to Kertan, once for my son's wedding, and again for my granddaughter's birth."

"Then why leave now?"

"The monsters, dear." The old woman's smile left her face, and her wrinkles creased with weariness, "They have become quite the nuisance, ravaging the towns and assaulting the roadways. And our king does nothing at all to help. It isn't safe there anymore."

"I'm afraid you won't find much comfort in Perona." Peter admitted.

"What makes you say that dear? They say Perona has built up quite the civilization and her queen does not stand for such abominations roaming the lands." She had apparently done her research.

"Aye that's true. But Perona is home to the monsters hidden within men, and I'm afraid those are far more terrifying." Peter warned, "If you are expecting a warm welcome, you'd have better luck in Bartaille."

"Ha! You jest." The old lady tittered, "I'm afraid my bones are too old to ever step foot in that frigid wasteland, not that I would ever want to, besides."

Peter's tone turned serious, "I'd avoid the capital, then. It's no place to start a life. Stick to the border towns along the seaboard and keep to yourselves when possible. Newcomers are easy to take advantage of."

"Ours has always been a family of survivors." The old woman turned, and Peter followed her gaze to a husband and wife fast asleep with a baby girl nestled between them. "No matter where we end up, we'll manage." She bowed her head to leave, "It was nice chatting with you, son."

"May the Queen look kindly upon your soul." Peter called. The words left his mouth before he even realized what he had said. He hadn't heard the phrase in years, least not from his own lips. The old woman regarded him with a quizzical look, but smiled warmly, taking the blessing with her.

Peter returned to his vigil. The waves were just as black as before, the faint light of the lamps unable to paint them their true colour. The old woman's voice could be heard talking to her son, "Bartaille! Honestly."

Peter shook his head. In all honesty, Bartaille was probably the safest of the three continents: the civilized world of Perona to the east, the verdant fields of Maridel to the west, and the glacial bastion of Bartaille in the north. Each belonged to their own kingdom, each with their own sovereign to preside over their people.