Truths

My phone clatters to the floor. My hearing becomes so fuzzy that I barely register that my phone screen has shattered on the dark oak floor. All I can think about is Daniel. He's here. He's in front of me and very much alive. I can't believe it. 

I hear a distant growl behind me but ignore it. Everything else around me becomes a blur. However, one thing is clear: Daniel. He has come to save me. 

I'm going to be rescued, I think to myself with excitement. 

Before I can take a step towards Daniel, a burly arm wraps itself around my waist and pulls me into their body. From the tingles and common sense, I know it's Weston. Right away I try to squirm away from him, but his strength keeps me in place. 

"Let her go, Weston. You know what I'm capable of," Daniel states calmly but firmly. 

In all our years of dating, I have never heard him sound like this. He sounds livid, almost murderous. 

Weston snarls and tightens his grip on me. 

"You know I am stronger than you. The building is surrounded. You will never make it out of this territory alive." 

Daniel doesn't cower at his words. Instead, he smirks and takes a step closer. My eyes widen in fear for him. Weston's body shakes in anger. I can tell he's about to lose control. 

"That's what you think." 

I expect a brawl. I expect growls and yelling. However, the complete opposite happens. 

Weston laughs. 

He actually laughs.

It's a genuine laugh. I've never heard him laugh before. It's beautiful and scary. I don't know what to do. I resist fighting against his grip because I know it's a pointless battle. So I stand in his arms and feel the vibrations of his laugh against my back. Daniel looks shocked, then furious. 

"You don't want her," he says in between a hearty laugh. 

"Of course I want her," Daniel growls. 

Weston grabs my head and tilts it to the side to expose my neck. I watch Daniel's face go white in shock. 

"Are you sure about that, Danny boy?" 

Daniel visibly gulps and rubs the back of his neck. I can see his frustration and disbelief at my mark. He looks defeated. He takes a step back. 

"You . . . marked her?" 

"No, it's a cat scratch," Weston says sarcastically. If I was looking at him, I bet a victorious smirk would be spread across his face. 

With Weston's grip loosened, I break away and make a break to Daniel. I expect to feel his arms wrapped around me. However, he puts his hands out to push me away. I meet his eyes with a hurt expression. I have been miserable for weeks. I've been missing his touch and comfort for weeks. Now he's pushing me away. 

He meets my eyes with a blank expression. 

"Poppy, you're marked. I-I can't. We can't." 

I gasp in pain and open my mouth to reason with him but close it. 

"Finally, something intelligent out of your mouth," Weston remarks with a snort. 

Daniel glares at me before turning back to me with a softer expression. 

"There's no way we can be together. I'm sorry, Poppy." 

I try to reach for him again. Weston growls at this but doesn't make a move to retrieve me.